Sneezing, rattling, and antibiotics not working

The_Flock

Songster
Aug 24, 2019
Ontario, Canada
Hi Peeps. I have a hen who is almost a year old. I have posted on here months before about her and her sneezing.
Her name is Quinn and she's a Columbian Rock. She's been sneezing since I let her out of the brooder and put her outside when she was a couple of months old. I gave her antibiotics when she was wee and it cleared nothing up. She's had at least 4 courses of antibiotics. 3 for possible respiratory issues, 1 for cocci. The sneezing has never ended.
Now it's progressed to her breathing rattling, but mainly only when we pick her up. I've been wanting to try benadryl, but I've read such differing opinions on using it everyday. I've just started giving her honey with On Guard oil and Oregano oil, and that usually makes them rattlier until everything clears out and then it makes them much better.
She has issues with her nostrils too. They don't have mucous coming out of them, and they don't really run, but I have to open them from flaky skin blocking them about once a week. And they are raw. I clean them and put a tad of polysporin on them with each cleaning. Her eyes are very clear.
She's just started really sneezing when she eats, and open mouth breathing, here and there, at the same time. And she seems a bit slower at times, not all the time though.
If this was a respiratory infection I would think it would've either healed up from any one of the antibiotic courses she was on, or killed her.
She's not laying right now, and the last egg she laid was thin shelled. I do have a few girls right now who are broody, or sort of broody. So I'm not eliminating that (but kinda doubt she's broody).
The flock was tested for worms about a month back and they were all clear, but a bit more than normal cocci was present, so that's why the cocci meds.
I've ordered some Safeguard for gapeworm as I'm completely clueless as to what this is.
None of the other girls are showing anything. I have one hen who was petrified after a fox attack and now has a weakened immunity, and she's not gotten any issues related to respiratory.
Quinn does have wet poops right now. I feed them fermented layer mash, with layer pellets as the back up food. I'm not able to drain all of the water out of the fermented feed because I add flax seed (for Quinn) and they make the water like jelly. I also have a scissor beaked girl, Cosmo, who I put watered down layer pellets out for, she eats it so well and has gained a great amount of weight because of this. So I'm wondering if the water in the feed is causing the runny poops.
Lately after I handle her she almost seems stunned. She's not at all scared of me, or me picking her up. But stays in one spot for a while after she's been handled.
I'm at a loss here and would love some help. Please and thank you. 😊

Wow!!! Lots of emergency posts. Hopefully all the emergencies are moving along as they should. ❤
I'm hoping someone on here has some sort of experience with the contents of my thread. 😊

Last edited:
As all your attempts of antibiotic treatment did not help, she might be suffering from mycosis/aspergillosis.

ETA: Mycotoxins from mouldy straw or feed etc. can be inhaled at an early age and lead to chronic infection.

https://www.thepoultrysite.com/publications/diseases-of-poultry/212/aspergillosis

Interesting. Thank you so much for the info. I'm going to look into this. I so appreciate your response.
Out of all the treatments I've given her, so far the On Guard oil, Oregano oil, and honey seem to be working the best. ❤

You're welcome! Oregano oil and honey will help her immune system.

What do you use for bedding in your coop?

In my coop is sand, and in the outdoor enclosure it's straw. They also are out in a half acre turnout area. I can't free range them anymore because of the ravenous wildlife.
It very well could be from the straw. But I'm not sure how she got it at a 2ish months old as they were on clean sand and clean ground. But...it def sounds like what's going on with her.
I bought the Safe Guard for gapeworm but I'm going to wait and see if the oils and honey will help more before I choose to use it.

In my coop is sand, and in the outdoor enclosure it's straw. They also are out in a half acre turnout area. I can't free range them anymore because of the ravenous wildlife.
It very well could be from the straw. But I'm not sure how she got it at a 2ish months old as they were on clean sand and clean ground. But...it def sounds like what's going on with her.
I bought the Safe Guard for gapeworm but I'm going to wait and see if the oils and honey will help more before I choose to use it.
Deworming her would help the immune system, as it would be relieved of the task of additionally having to deal with worm troubles

Back
Top Bottom