sneezing, snotting chickens

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by beccastrozyk, Aug 11, 2013.

1. beccastrozyk

beccastrozyk New Egg

Mar 10, 2013
    My flock has been sneezing and snotting for a few weeks now. I tried probiotics, VetRx, apple cider vinegar...but they are no better. They don't seem to feel bad, just snotty. I was thinking of giving them a dose of antibiotics but hated to lose the eggs for a month. I mean I used to eat cheap grocery store eggs, I'm sure they were laiden with stuff I "shouldn't" eat. I don't want to risk my family getting sick, but do you "have" to throw away those eggs? What are the risks?

2. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    I would give them antibiotics. Tylan50 or Tylan200 are good antibiotics to use. You inject them into the breast muscle using a 22gauge needle (to learn how to inject, go to http://shilala.homestead.com/injection.html). Tylan will cure most respiratory infections. The dosage for Tylan50 is 1cc for large fowl chickens, .5ccs for bantams, given once a day for five days. The dosage for Tylan200 is .5ccs for large fowl chickens, and .1-.3ccs for bantams or small chickens, given for 3-4 days.

You could also give them a weaker, water soluable antibiotic like Oxytetracycline (sold under names like Duramycin, Terramycin, Tetroxy HCA-280, or LA200). If your flock is large, this may be the better option.

I don't know the risks of eating eggs that contain antibiotics. Personally, I wouldn't do it. I wouldn't risk the safety of your family for a month's worth of eggs.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by