DobieLover

Easily distracted by chickens
Premium Feather Member
5 Years
Jul 23, 2018
NY Southern Tier
My Coop
My Coop
I have a flock of 11 birds, 9.5 months old.
I noticed sneezing in one about a week ago. Then noticed a second also sneezing. No other serious symptoms with the exception that the second one I noticed sneezing is having a mild molt so she is a bit reserved and her comb is color is a little off. All are laying great. No issues with the eggs. No facial selling, nasal or ocular discharge, no bubbles in the eyes, no coughing or gasping.
Yesterday, the cockerel's crow sounded off and a third, also lightly molting pullet, started sneezing. She hadn't paid since fall. She did open mouth breath a for a few seconds once that I noticed.
Everyone is otherwise acting normally, eating and drinking well, dust bathing, preening and scratching around outside when the weather is good.
IMG_20190217_133546602.jpg

I've "treated" with VetRX applied to their nostrils and under the wings and Ropa- poultry oregano in their water. The VetRX seems to help maybe a little.
Should I treat with Tylan or Denegard or let it run it's course?

Sneezing can be common if hou only hear it occasionally. Dust in feed or bedding may cause it, or something environmental. But if you hear the same chickens sneezing every few minutes, that can be a sign of infectious bronchitis, the most common respiratory disease. It is caused by a virus, and can last for about a month with sneezing and a slight decrease in laying. Wrinkled egg shells are sometimes seen. It has a tendency to go through the whole flock over weeks or months, depending on how many you have. Chickens remain carriers for 5 months up to a year. Hopefully, it is just dust.

I agree with the others. Chickens sneeze just like a dog or cat. Most likely it's something in the environment; pollen, feed dust, ammonia fumes from soiled bedding, DE, dust from dust bathing, pesticide use. Check for mold inside the coop as well, mold spores can cause sneezing. If there's mold, sanitize with bleachwater and dry thoroughly.

Thanks for the replies.
I ferment so it's not the feed. Their shavings aren't damp. I smell absolutely no ammonia. They only sleep and lay in the coop, the rest of their time is spent on their run or pen.
I haven't used DE not pesticides.
I'll stay the current treatment and hope no one else starts sneezing.

I’d let it run its course. Maybe add vitamins and electrolytes in their water for a couple days for a boost. I have a couple with a very mild respiratory *something* going on right now and I’m trying to keep things as stress free as possible. Thankfully we have a break in the rain so everything can dry out.

Back
Top Bottom