Sneezing

Fricasee

Songster
6 Years
Jun 6, 2014
Durango, Colorado
I have a hen that seems to be sneezing. I've had a look at her eyes and nostrils and I'm not seeing any discharge there. Nobody else is sneezing that I've seen or heard. It's just her. We've had rain everyday so I don't see how it could be dust. What could be wrong?

Sh could be getting sick.
Could you take a short video of her an upload it to youtube then post a link to it here?

Sh could be getting sick.
Could you take a short video of her an upload it to youtube then post a link to it here?
I was just out there trying to get video. I heard her sneeze a few times before I went out but not for the video. Could I go ahead and treat her? And if yes with what?

I was just out there trying to get video. I heard her sneeze a few times before I went out but not for the video. Could I go ahead and treat her? And if yes with what?
Sorry I can't help there...
I'm not yet an expert in respiratory illnesses.

Sneezing often can be a symptom of infectious bronchitis,manvirus that may last for several weeks. Antibiotics do not treat IB. IB usually will spread through the flock over several weeks, so if that doesn't happen, you may be dealing with something else. Dust in feed or from conditions in the coop, poor air circulation, mold, or environmental conditions may cause sneezing.

Sneezing often can be a symptom of infectious bronchitis,manvirus that may last for several weeks. Antibiotics do not treat IB. IB usually will spread through the flock over several weeks, so if that doesn't happen, you may be dealing with something else. Dust in feed or from conditions in the coop, poor air circulation, mold, or environmental conditions may cause sneezing.
If it's infectious bronchitis, what if anything can I do to help them?
The feed I recently bought for them does have a bit of dust. It has been collecting in the pan of the gravity feeder I have. I have been having to scoop it out so the grain will come out. I use dry compacted straw in the coop. I recently added a gable vent to improve air circulation for them. It has been wet here as it's monsoon season so it rains every afternoon. I've been working on improving this existing coop but there is a leak in the first floor but I don't smell mold.
Is this a wait and see sort of thing, or do I need to take action? I don't know what to do..

I got home from work and started to dig into the straw and yes it was wet close to the floor and smelled a little musty. I cleared out all the wet bedding and left the floor bare to dry out. I will fix the leak this weekend. I covered the outside where the leak is with plastic. Should I do anything else to the inside of the coop to clean it or is letting it dry sufficient?

Fans can help dry out coops in summertime. Stirring the bedding daily may also help. There is no treatment necessary if it would be infectious bronchitis, since it is a virus, and antibiotics are normally not effective unless there is secondary bacterial infection. More than likely it isn't IB, but just an environmental problem. Make sure they are all eating, drinking, and acting normally.

Fans can help dry out coops in summertime. Stirring the bedding daily may also help. There is no treatment necessary if it would be infectious bronchitis, since it is a virus, and antibiotics are normally not effective unless there is secondary bacterial infection. More than likely it isn't IB, but just an environmental problem. Make sure they are all eating, drinking, and acting normally.
Ok. Thank you. She is the only one sneezing so far. I'm going to try to get the roof finished this weekend to keep it dry and I'll pick up a pitchfork!

Back
Top Bottom