Sneezing

Ch1cken Tender

Songster
Jul 22, 2023
221A Baker Street 😉
So, I have three roughly 2 month old chicks, and at least one of the three has been sneezing. They haven’t been lethargic at all, in fact they have been very active. They are currently in quarantine from my other chickens. I haven’t seen any bubbles from their eyes. And my favorite, Falcon, (when she sneezed on me the other day) had a very wet sneeze not thick just wet. I really, really hope this isn’t something deadly or contagious. Sorry for the sentence forming and punctuation. It’s getting rather late. 😂

What your describing sounds like it may just be 'dust' in the nares. Abrupt changes in temperature can also cause birds to sneeze, pollen, as well as more serious viral and bacterial infections can also cause sneezing.
Is the area your birds in dusty? Is the feed so fine as to be dusty and getting into their nares? Just a few things to look for in determing the cause of the sneeze. Can you post pics of your set up and the sneezy one?

What your describing sounds like it may just be 'dust' in the nares. Abrupt changes in temperature can also cause birds to sneeze, pollen, as well as more serious viral and bacterial infections can also cause sneezing.
Is the area your birds in dusty? Is the feed so fine as to be dusty and getting into their nares? Just a few things to look for in determing the cause of the sneeze. Can you post pics of your set up and the sneezy one?
Thank you for getting back to me! I will post pictures when I next get a chance!

They are currently outdoors in an unfortunately fairly small cage for lack of having anything bigger and available. The feed is a bit dusty… so hopefully it’s just allergies rather than a viral disease! Again, thank you. I will try to get those photos at the next available time. :)

As I said of your description, they aren't lethargic, bubbly eyes, fluffed up appearance, so I wouldn't suspect a serious illness, or respiratory illness, probably just dust or allergies. Is their bedding dusty?

Last edited:
So, I have three roughly 2 month old chicks, and at least one of the three has been sneezing. They haven’t been lethargic at all, in fact they have been very active. They are currently in quarantine from my other chickens. I haven’t seen any bubbles from their eyes. And my favorite, Falcon, (when she sneezed on me the other day) had a very wet sneeze not thick just wet. I really, really hope this isn’t something deadly or contagious. Sorry for the sentence forming and punctuation. It’s getting rather late. 😂
hello! Since there's no bubbles or discharge I wouldn't think its a respiratory infection or disease you should too concerned about, prehaps there's dust in the air or in the bedding that is causing them to sneeze. I'd suggest changing the bedding to something more dust free. Since you said their feed can be a bit dusty I'd also suggest giving that feed but as a paste (blending it with treats like corn and peas and warm water) there's less food wastage and they get all the nutrition they need. Have food and water available for them at all times but if not then just feed them 4-5 times throughout the day. You also said that one of your chicks gave a really wet sneeze, that could just be that water went up their nose. If you find your chicks panting/gasping then I'd suggest looking into their mouths and seeing if there's anything stuck if not then it'd probably be because their too hot. Hope this helps :)

IMG_5705.jpeg
IMG_5707.jpeg
IMG_5709.jpeg
IMG_5715.jpeg

The cage in the “shed” is their home at night, and the rest of the area they typically get to roam around in the day. I just moved them here today because my other hen has been acting fine for days now.

As I said of your description, they aren't lethargic, bubbly eyes, fluffed up appearance, so I wouldn't suspect a serious illness, or respiratory illness, probably just dust or allergies. Is their bedding dusty?
In their former spot they had wood shavings as their bedding in a box. I haven’t put that back in yet… should I? Or can some chickens be allergic to wood shavings? Thank you for helping me. 😊

hello! Since there's no bubbles or discharge I wouldn't think its a respiratory infection or disease you should too concerned about, prehaps there's dust in the air or in the bedding that is causing them to sneeze. I'd suggest changing the bedding to something more dust free. Since you said their feed can be a bit dusty I'd also suggest giving that feed but as a paste (blending it with treats like corn and peas and warm water) there's less food wastage and they get all the nutrition they need. Have food and water available for them at all times but if not then just feed them 4-5 times throughout the day. You also said that one of your chicks gave a really wet sneeze, that could just be that water went up their nose. If you find your chicks panting/gasping then I'd suggest looking into their mouths and seeing if there's anything stuck if not then it'd probably be because they’re too hot. Hope this helps :)
Thanks for responding to my thread! I was just thinking, there was a bit of woodwork (like sawing) going on around where the chicks were before I moved them there. This could be a reaction to that!

Back
Top Bottom