sneezing

newrooster

In the Brooder
9 Years
Dec 13, 2010
I know alot has been asked and posted about respitory illness treating with tylan
Now I have to keep a closed flock correct?
Ive heard I should just kill off flock disinfect coop wait a few months and start agian.
Would really hate that got an awsome old rooster and out of the 10 hens a couple that just love people

Describe all of the symptoms your chickens are having. Mycoplasma, infectious bronchitis, coryza, and ILT are some of the common diseases they can get. You can get a chicken tested by nasal swab or blood test if you contact your state vet for instructions since each state has different procedures. Many of these diseases will die out in several days after cleaning and disinfection of the premises. Here is how to find your state vet, and a list of common diseases with symptoms:
http://www.aphis.usda.gov/animal_health/animal_dis_spec/poultry/participants.shtml
http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ps044

If you don't want to cull your birds don't. For people who are breeding, showing, selling eggs, chicks or adult birds culling is about the only option. But if you just want to keep these birds as pets for the duration of their life that is fine too. I treated my flock a little over two years ago for infectious bronchitis. All survived and we've had no more problems.

Tylan is indeed a good choice for respiratory diseases. It won't cure a viral disease but it will help prevent the secondary bacterial infections or pneumonia that so often kill the birds.

It does help to know exactly what you are dealing with though. If you can get a bird tested it does help with a treatment plan or to help you decide if this is something that you do indeed want to cull for.

That could be MG or coryza. Any face or eye swelling, or any bad odor? That is more a symptom of coryza. The problem with most of the respiratory diseases is that they look alike, and once you have it in your flock, every chicken becomes a carrier. The best thing isto cull sick birds, but if you chose to treat, Tylan, Gallimycin, and Oxytetracycline are some of the drugs used to treat them. Sulfa drugs like Di-Methox and Sulmet. are used more for coryza.

Back
Top Bottom