Sniffles nose block cure

Leisure105

In the Brooder
Nov 28, 2015
Got some new hens this summer but someone had the sniffles and infected a good portion of the flock. One hen in particular had it more severe than the others. The fleshy pad between the eye and nostril bulges in and out as she breathes. By time I noticed the problem there were a few sneezers so I treated the whole flock with super booster for about 10 days. The super booster seed to help clear up some but others seemed to hang on to the sniffles for quite some time. I basically stopped treatment after 10 days cuz I wasn't sure if prolonged treatment was maybe harmful. Since the affected birds seemed otherwise healthy I thought I'd let it run its course and see what happened. As of now the one hen still has the sniffles as the fleshy pad still bulges but only on one side of the face. She doesn't show any other signs of weakness or lethargy and I'm pretty sure she's laying although I can't be sure on that. Near as I can figure she has a respiratory infection. Any thoughts on a home remedy to clear her up

It sounds a lot like the new hens infected your flock with mycoplasma. If they stunk like roadkill when they had the discharge I'd have said coryza, but you didn't mention that so I'm leaning toward mycoplasma.

Just so you are aware, whatever this is, be it coryza or mycoplasma, (CRD), you can treat it, but it's not going to go away. Now that they have it they will have it for life and they will get sick again whenever they are stressed, such as during molt, when coming into lay, if the temperature suddenly, drops, etc.

If you want to treat the symptoms, you can try tetracycline or even better, Denagard, which while technically a pig medication can be used to treat this in chickens and the disease has no resistance to it, which is nice.

I didn't notice any discharge in any of the birds and no one stunk like roadkill. From what I read I was under the impression that the entire flock is now carriers and that the sniffles can reoccur. Like I say only the one still displays the one symptom(bulging fleshy pad when she breathes). Both sides were like that but now only the one side. She is locked up with the rest of the flock so should I treat just her or all. Also is there some home remedy that will clear her up. I've heard of cider vinegar rinse....... I'm from canada and have not seen the products mentioned on shelves(I'll look better today).

Unfortunately with it being a bacterial infection, there's not really a home remedy that can cure it and it needs to be treated with an antibiotic if she's not fighting it off on her own. Tetracycline is also sold under other names like Duramycin so you might check for things like that. Yes, they will carry it for life now and the symptoms will probably reoccur, so it's not a bad idea to have the stuff on hand to treat with when it happens. Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom