Snotty nosed broody hen...(Pics added pg2)

Teresaann24

Songster
11 Years
Jul 29, 2008
Eastern, Kentucky
I noticed today my broody has a snotty nose. We did have a huge ice storm followed by freezing temps and about 3-4inches of snow.

I gave her some Aureomycin Chlortetracycline in her water.

It reads on the back good for resporiry infections will this help her get better?

Last edited:
She is in a dog crate on my deck so she is away from everyone.

Its not wet or running or bubbling no discharge from the eyes just looks like crusty snot on her nose.

see this is the thing that confuses me...some say they dont get regular colds, so at first sign of runny nose/and cold symptoms they all have to be culled (because it is a disease that can spread)..AND you cant sell your eggs either.....BUT..then others say..it is okay..they can be treated and etc....WHAT is the truth of this? does anyone really know?
he.gif

Chickens most definitely do not get "colds" as human beings do. They do, however, get respiratory infections.

There's no tried & true perfect answer to your question, redhen...if they are simply pets that give you eggs and you're happy with that, you may choose to treat them (however, make sure to throw eggs away for a period of 3-4 weeks after stopping antibiotics). If, however, you sell hatching eggs, you may choose to cull the bird. Either is appropriate.

I think as of right now it can be treated but if it persists to wheezing, puffy eyes and those more extreme symptoms you mentioned above, that's when some would suggest to cull to avoid #1 passing on this sickness to other birds and #2 passing on it's suseptibility to disease future generations.

If you're not selling your eggs or chickens, it is completely up to you to make a decision that's best for you flock. If you want to give her some time to get over it, I think she'll be just fine
wink.png
They may not catch "colds" but they can get chilled. Just keep her warm and baby her for a bit.
smile.png

Last edited:
Quote:
i am
fl.gif
that i never have this problem! what a hard choice to make!
hit.gif
so..if i had a chicken with some cold symptoms..i can not sell the eggs for hatching eggs? because it is definatley a disease? even if i treated and the symptoms went away?

Last edited:
If you have a chicken that's sneezing...if it's a dry sounding sneeze, it could very well be due to the environment (dust, chemicals being sprayed on a field next to your run, etc.). But, if the sneeze is "wet" sounding, if you hear rattling in the chest, if there is discharge (from nose or eyes), you've most likely got a respiratory issue going on. Yes, a "disease." To know for sure, take your chicken to an avian vet.

If you treated and the symptoms went away, your chicken is now a carrier of the disease. Again, if you've got a backyard flock that's providing you with eggs and the simple enjoyment that comes from having chickens, nothing wrong with treating....IMO. It's a personal choice. But, the responsible thing to do is to not sell hatching eggs if you've chosen to treat.

Last edited:
Quote:
okay thanks! and this can be spread through the eggs also?? can we eat the eggs?
sickbyc.gif

also..none of mine are sick..i just want to be prepared in case i have to face this problem someday! hopefully not!..
fl.gif
how do they catch this? only through other chickens?

Back
Top Bottom