Snow

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by kangababy, Jan 8, 2011.

1. kangababy

kangababy Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2010
    Alabama
    Ok so we are suppossed to be getting more now like Christmas Day starting tomorrow evening... 4-8 inches or more.. Today we installed 6 more support poles and will be running more support wires tomorrow..
    Once the weather turns we will be checking the avairy and knocking snow off.. Suppossed to start with the heavy stuff at around 1am if it turns to ice us there anything we can do?? Or what is the best way to handled ice vs snow??

We are having crazy weather this winter since we got our avairy done.. Tornados ( luckily not at out place), floods and a 3+ inches of snow!! What other kind of weather do we have to have to test the avairy, I mean really.. All within 3 months!

2. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    Sounds like quite a project! Good for you!

Up here in New England, one thing I consider is weight. A light snow with some wind is not likely to put much burden on a structure. But if we get snow followed by ice, and little wind, the weight can build up, so I put extra supports under overhangs and other horizontal surfaces.

Also I watch out for slanted roofs that could suddenly let go of a sheet of ice and/or snow and pound on whatever is underneath it.

Those are my first thoughts . . .

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by