Snowbirds… we all want to go south for the winter

Sep 13, 2019
Pennsylvania
We are thinking of purchasing a property south of where we are now, in Pennsylvania, and escaping this brutal cold every November through March. The winters get harder and harder on us as we get older. No way could I EVER leave my chickens and geese for 5 months. Do you think my bird family (27 chickens and currently 2 geese) could tolerate having 2 homes? We would make sure it was less than a 10 hour drive away so they would only have two long travel days a year. Has anyone ever done this to their birds? Pics just because I adore my bird family.
35D6FB6C-D9DA-4316-94A2-8CC15E304022.jpeg

1C3CC745-B2B7-49BD-88D4-0D8A7565533D.jpeg
DFA3C99A-2D52-43B0-8906-4B999EF9A264.jpeg

I haven't done it, but when I have transported chickens when buying and selling them, they have always traveled very well.
I think it could be done, although you would have to be careful they don't get dehydrated.
Also, be very careful of any diseases or parasites that they could pick up on one location, and then spread to the other.

I haven't done it, but when I have transported chickens when buying and selling them, they have always traveled very well.
I think it could be done, although you would have to be careful they don't get dehydrated.
Also, be very careful of any diseases or parasites that they could pick up on one location, and then spread to the other.
If you will be in each location for 6 months, it's feasible.
Transporting birds across state lines is a possible detriment, due to possibly carrying disease.
I wonder if they would remember their old home when they got back each year.

We would be buying a property that is between 20 and 100 acres, so there shouldn’t be contact any different than what we currently have. There is always risk of any bird migrating into your location, no matter where you are, correct?

PA has no domestic import requirements for poultry.

I don't know the likely destinations but VA requires Vet certificate, test negative for avian flu within 14 days of the entry, test negative for typhoid within 30 day or be npip certified, maybe other

NC ... oh. This is much better than looking up each state...

https://www.aphis.usda.gov/aphis/pet-travel/interstate-pet-travel

Could you do some research and find a person/family willing to swap houses with you for the winter? Guess it would have to be some folks who love to make snowmen and ski. ;) Seems you'd be upping the odds for potential stress and accidents each time you make the trip, regardless of how infrequent. What about the hens who want to lay in their safe and familiar nest boxes while you are on the road? How would all those girls travel? Road noise? Unexpected delays? Just me being a perfection planner!:rolleyes:

Back
Top Bottom