Snowflake bobwhite air cell damage/abnormality? 11 days of development w/ picture

Hi everyone,

Quick update: both eggs hatched! The hatching process took SO LONG I was starting to feel anxious that they wouldn't be able to get through it. Both chicks had one external pip for over 24h and then when they zipped and hatched it was so fast I didn't even catch it.

Interesting surprise though... one chick only has one eye and seems more lethargic than the other "normal" chick. Otherwise, both are eating and drinking water. These are pet quail and will not be used for breeding, so I'm not worried about culling a chick over a small developmental issue. Just hoping it will be able to grow normally.

Thanks for all the advice!
Jordan
Yay! :clap I lost this thread for a while. Thanks for the update!!! Pics? ❤
That's the same way my Bobs are with hatching, slow, slow, slow, then super fast! One eye?!?! That's so sad. Hopefully he can live a good life still.

Yay! :clap I lost this thread for a while. Thanks for the update!!! Pics? ❤
That's the same way my Bobs are with hatching, slow, slow, slow, then super fast! One eye?!?! That's so sad. Hopefully he can live a good life still.

At two weeks of age, both quails are doing great and are incredibly sweet! I can't believe how lucky I am. Attaching pics so you can see Tako's one eye and apparent bill deformity. He's not able to accurately peck at things with just one eye, but does fine when there is an entire dish of food in front of him. I was searching the forums to see if anyone else has had gamebirds or poultry hatch with one eye, but all I found were posts about birds with two missing eyes! Seems to be a special case, here. He's a very special little bird and loves to snuggle.

Thanks for being here MGG, your post was very helpful when I was so worried about the eggs :)

Attachments

• IMG_4443.JPG
    IMG_4443.JPG
    268.7 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_4386.jpeg
    IMG_4386.jpeg
    385.1 KB · Views: 12
At two weeks of age, both quails are doing great and are incredibly sweet! I can't believe how lucky I am. Attaching pics so you can see Tako's one eye and apparent bill deformity. He's not able to accurately peck at things with just one eye, but does fine when there is an entire dish of food in front of him. I was searching the forums to see if anyone else has had gamebirds or poultry hatch with one eye, but all I found were posts about birds with two missing eyes! Seems to be a special case, here. He's a very special little bird and loves to snuggle.

Thanks for being here MGG, your post was very helpful when I was so worried about the eggs :)
Thank you for the update! That's called crossed beak, or scissor beak. It occurs in most all birds, so you can find some good info on it. He'll need some TLC, but should do just fine. They're both super cute.
Its so weird he has just one eye. Looks like a little pirate, lol.
They're both super cute. Thanks for the pics.

Thanks!! I'll look up scissor beak and see what I can learn about it. Have a great week!

Back
Top Bottom