So...broomstick was a failure

Lol! I still remember...my sister was about 5 and while visiting my grandma, she asked my sister if fried chicken would make a good lunch...of course my sister said yes. Granny said lets go then! My sister thought they were going to Kroger...instead my granny went out back to the chicken coop...grabbed a hen by the head, popped it's body like a whip and then spun it around her head till the neck parted. Granny was REAL old school. That body started tumbling back and forth all over the yard spouting blood..my sister screamed like a banshee and as I recall, she didn't eat chicken for a LOOOONG time LOL!

Don't feel bad
barnie.gif
My first dispatch went bad and it took forever and a few attempts to kill my first roo! My 10 yo DS had to help me. But like anything it gets easier with practice. On the Backyard Herd website on the meat rabbit thread someone suggested the "rabbit wringer" and they have one for chickens. It cost a few dollars but here is the website http://www.therabbitwringer.com/index.html

I use the broomstick b/c I don't want to cut the throat first. The skin I think is a little too tough and I'm not. I use the broomstick on concrete and then chop the head off for the bleed out.

I did feel so bad. I was using that as it seemed faster and less traumatic! LOL We think the problem was not using a wooden dowel or broomstick as we were on cement so that didn't give any.

You could always go the ted nugent direction. Gently pet the bird till its relaxed...turn it over on its back in your hands. Then lift it over your head and wack its skull against a rock or brick a couple of times...sounds grusome I know...but it is very quick! And in the end that is what this is all about..the quickest and cleanest death possible.

You could always go the ted nugent direction. Gently pet the bird till its relaxed...turn it over on its back in your hands. Then lift it over your head and wack its skull against a rock or brick a couple of times...sounds grusome I know...but it is very quick! And in the end that is what this is all about..the quickest and cleanest death possible.

Quick, clean - Highly doubt it. The fact that you have to do it a couple times already makes it slower than other methods, and my goodness imagine the pain in the mean time of feeling your skull shattered. It would take a very good, skilled swing to kill the bird in one blow, and even then - Not exactly a "clean" death.

On the contrary..I've seen it done a couple of time. The chicken goes limp the second its head hits the hard surface...the head is crushed and the brain is dead within a heart beat. Given the choice between having my throat cut and slowly bleeding to death or having my brain instantly destroyed I'll choose instant brain death. No one will ever convince me that cutting a chicken's main artery and letting it bleed out is painless and non-traumatic

I agree. My husband cuts them & they are tied by their feet upside. suddenly before death they fight flapping wings to get free. I can't watch. I told him no more eating our birds. I tend to them & even the meat birds love me & I hate to think of their destiny.

I have no problems with raising meat animals. They'll have a far better life than what commercial animals will have, crammed into tight stalls, fed sub-par food to save money and then herded, stressed out and then stunned or killed in bloody rooms full of machinery. Caring for your own future food means treating it with respect, feeding it well, keeping it healthy and making sure on that last day that it leaves the world quickly and cleanly. These animals are here for a purpose...to feed us. But just because they are animals, doesn't mean they don't get treated with respect and kindness along the way lol.

On the contrary..I've seen it done a couple of time. The chicken goes limp the second its head hits the hard surface...the head is crushed and the brain is dead within a heart beat. Given the choice between having my throat cut and slowly bleeding to death or having my brain instantly destroyed I'll choose instant brain death. No one will ever convince me that cutting a chicken's main artery and letting it bleed out is painless and non-traumatic

Neither me, in fact I mentioned earlier of the nerve damage that happens in the mean time. But, personally, I think just a simple beheading is much faster. An axe, I personally don't trust but that's because I never trust my aim - But a pair of strong loppers never fails. As for swinging - If a chicken goes limp the second time, that's already taking too long. Plus, limp doesn't mean it can't feel anything or isn't awake. If you're standing there swinging away each time, the only way to know for sure is if you feel the skull yourself, but, you don't want to prolong it even more by stopping to get a feel, and, each person has their own strength.

To each their own though.

Back
Top Bottom