So can I...

joel david

Aggro Backyard Farmer
9 Years
Feb 22, 2010
Mesa, AZ
...give my chicks worms from the garden? I have a cartoon running through my head of these goofballs tug-o-waring over worms and chasing each other all around trying to get the others worm (kinda like my toddler and my 3 year old).

mstricer

Crowing
13 Years
Feb 12, 2009
Ohio
My hens are weird if I try to give them worms they walk away, They see a snake they go after it like its a chickens thanksgiving dinner weird huh?

catdaddy66

Songster
10 Years
Nov 18, 2009
Lugoff, SC
Mealworms seem to be like chicken CRACK at about any age above 1 week!! I would think smaller earthworms may be better than, say, large nightcrawlers. That would be excellent protein for the growing flock, but I am just now approaching 1 week of actual chick care so please take that with the a bit of healthy skepticism. I did read extensively for about 4 months...
th.gif

Last edited:

joel david

Aggro Backyard Farmer
9 Years
Feb 22, 2010
Mesa, AZ
Well I'm at 3 days of chick care, but it seems like it should be fine just thought I would ask first.

teach1rusl

Love My Chickens
10 Years
Jul 28, 2009
Floyds Knobs, Indiana
My Coop
My Coop
When my girls were chicks, I did offer a few worms (it ended up just as you described...flag football basically), and even tossed a grasshopper in the vacinity by two weeks. As others have said, when you venture away from the crumbles, make sure you're sprinkling a little fine grit on their feed.

Gonzo

Songster
10 Years
May 25, 2009
Southwestern, In
I posted that same question last year, and was told that earthworms carry parasites. I give them to my birds, and just take natural steps to deworm, and control internal parasites. ex. Apple cider vinagar in their water, and I feed them whole pumpkins when I can find them. The pumpkin seeds contain natural enzymes that flush their bodys of parasites.

speckledhen

Intentional Solitude
Premium Feather Member
15 Years
Feb 3, 2007
Blue Ridge Mtns. of North Georgia
Mealworms, yes, but I wouldn't purposefully give them worms from the garden till later on. Earthworms often carry a nematode that can cause gapeworm. Some of my hens will eat worms on occasion, but I don't feed them to them for that reason.

Top Bottom