so chicks again..... AWESOME!!!!

Che

In the Brooder
8 Years
Jul 4, 2011
Kannapolis,NC
so my broody hen decided to lay on her eggs for 21 one days and now i have 3 baby chicks so what should I feed them? Should I feed them starter feed like I did for the 1st generation chicks or should I let them eat the same thing the adults eat? any suggestions?
cool.png

Do you feed all the chickens the starter feed? Or, how do you keep the bigger girls from eating the starter feed and the chicks from eating the layer pellets?
Quote:

I have both young ones and layers.................so they get both kinds of food.............they just eat what they want. It's impossible to seperate. I've had no problems yet.
p.s. I also give the older ones scratch....
they also get veggies, yogurt. etc.

Quote:
Sharon
with the new babies it all good to feed the entire flock the medicated chick starter and switch them to grower feed later or not. When the girls get older and ready to start laying then throw down some crushed oyster shell to add to the layers diet.

Quote:
Sharon
with the new babies it all good to feed the entire flock the medicated chick starter and switch them to grower feed later or not. When the girls get older and ready to start laying then throw down some crushed oyster shell to add to the layers diet.

Giving starter to the whole flock and providing oyster shell is the best option BUT I definitely wouldn't use a medicated feed, I would use a non-medicated grower. And the oyster shell is best provided in a small container where those that feel the need will know where to find it and eat as much as they want.

Quote:
Sharon

Giving starter to the whole flock and providing oyster shell is the best option BUT I definitely wouldn't use a medicated feed, I would use a non-medicated grower. And the oyster shell is best provided in a small container where those that feel the need will know where to find it and eat as much as they want.

I agree, I would not feed them medicated starter. If you do, the medication goes into the eggs. If the hen and chicks are separated from the others, then feed them the medicated chick starter, it won't hurt mama hen and she won't be laying eggs for awhile.

Wow it looks like they kept on hatching after you posted! I would probably bring them into a brooder this time of the year, and just put them on starter. In warmer weather I would just switch the whole flock from layer crumble/pellets to hen scratch, the grain, I don't think, would hurt the chicks like the layer ration. I agree to give the hens oystershell though. Just what I would do.

ETA: You've got some mighty white (vs. yellow) babies there, do you know what breed or mix they are?

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom