So confused about humidity!!!!!!

ridinglizzard

In the Brooder
9 Years
Apr 7, 2010
I am pretty new to hatching eggs in an incubator. I have a Hovabator. I have tried quail, chicken, and turkey, with relatively low rates of hatch each time (~60%). The first few hatches I opened the lid during the hatching to remove chicks, and then I worried that I shrink wrapped the remaining babies (especially the turkeys!). So this time I committed to not opening the lid during hatching at all... well this latest hatch the first chick didn't hatch until day 22, and then tonight on the evening of day 23 I finally opened the lid to get the soul survivor out, and now suddenly 4 other babies are actively pipping!! Did they just need more oxygen?? How do you balance maintaining humidity while giving enough oxygen? I have the 2 vents open, and all trays full of water. I hope that I haven't hooped the 4 pipping chicks now by opening the incubator to get the living guy out. I really need some other chicks cause this guy is lonely!! Any suggestions would be appreciated.

I hatch a lot. its not that hard if ya follow a few rules. I almost always get one that hatches early .its not a big deal. put ur eggs in day one. humidity about 10 .I use a turner and suggest u do to if ya don't have one. maintain the 10% till day 18. take out the turner and lay eggs on the screen wire . fill all ports full with water.close and don't open for nothing. those babies can go 3 days before ya need to pull them out. when the first one hatches start your 3 day count. and no ya aint going to hurt those that haven't hatched unless they are pipped. if ya open that bator and one is pipped ,well then ya just said good bye. there is no need to open that bator on lockdown until there done hatching. try to brake ur self of that habbit. good luck

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom