So confused! want to do it right

Kelley Farms

In the Brooder
6 Years
Feb 11, 2013
La crosse Florida
I'm reading about taking care of my flock (22) they are now 8 & 9 weeks old. they are in a pen. I have hay in the roost area that I clean out weekly. they have a outside area that is dirt that I rake and try to clean up also. I was reading that people spray pen with "oxine" along with adding it to water and use DE in pen. is this a necessary step? my babies appear to be healthy eating fine and are very interactive. I'm trying to do everything right and make sure that they are healthy and not doing something incorrect. They are off chick medicated and are on grower feed now. I also give them some scratch daily in their play area. (which I was reading not to put on ground but to put in feeders, changing that tomorrow) been giving them chick grit with their scratch. I have a water system with 12 nipples which I keep fresh water and clean weekly also. So I guess my question is do I have to do the Oxine and DE? or is it if you have a noticeable problem. or is it prevention?

I know I sound like a total worry wart but all the post just seem to contradict each other and its so overwhelming.

Thank you,
Charles

Roost

"Pickles" enjoying a drink!

My 8 & 9 weeks old babies

A limb feel over weekend so made a outside roost for girls to play on during day in sun...

I dust with DE every few weeks or so to keep the flies down and keep the poop board dry. Oxine is OK every once in awhile as well in and around the waterers to knock down slime or bacteria. I prefer to use any chemicals or treatments very sparingly. If concerns arise then it is good to have what you need on hand.

I am on year 5 with chickens and I have no clue what oxine is. Do you need it, I'm gonna say probably not necessary. I do use DE to help keep my coup dry. Every week I turn the wood chip bedding and mix it up really good, then I dust the top of it lightly with DE. I will also dust the nest boxes and any poopy perches. Doesn't take much and all it really does is help keep things dry, which will also help to keep down the flies too. You mentioned something about not putting scratch on the ground. I have no idea why. That is the only way I feed it. Isn't that why they call it scratch?

I am on year 5 with chickens and I have no clue what oxine is. Do you need it, I'm gonna say probably not necessary. I do use DE to help keep my coup dry. Every week I turn the wood chip bedding and mix it up really good, then I dust the top of it lightly with DE. I will also dust the nest boxes and any poopy perches. Doesn't take much and all it really does is help keep things dry, which will also help to keep down the flies too. You mentioned something about not putting scratch on the ground. I have no idea why. That is the only way I feed it. Isn't that why they call it scratch?
I have read about people using it in the coop as a disinfectant to treat bacteria/fungi. I personally have never used it since I don't have any problems. Bleach mixed with water is a lot cheaper and it will kill just about anything. Below is a link. As far as scratch on the ground. I also think this is OK. Not even a waste problem since the birds pick the ground clean.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/675052/disinfect-coop-after-mareks

Back
Top Bottom