So cute I can't stand it

gryeyes

Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers
10 Years
Sep 22, 2009
My slice of heaven in Somerset, CA
Yes, I know this post is worthless without pictures, but I don't have any yet. You just have to believe me when I tell you how adorable the 4 chicks and 2 ducklings I bought from the feed store last Friday night ARE.

The BR is the smallest of the chicks, but the bravest and most active. Plus the hungriest. I've named her Betsy, as a variant of "Bitsy Baby Chicken." The two Welsummers - which I can't tell apart yet - are Thelma and Louise. The RIR is, of course, Rhoda.

The two Cayuga ducklings are Daphne and Dorothy. So far, anyway; they were straight run purchases and I am HOPING neither is a drake.

I've put a hardware cloth separator in the brooder so the ducklings and chicks can see each other, but not mess with each other. (The ducklings were billing the chicks so much they were BOWLING them over! Especially Betsy.) They have their own water and food. The heat lamp is directly over the separator so each half of the brooder has a warmest spot. The 4 chicks have a feather duster to run to for shelter, and the ducklings sleep all over a small dog toy stuffed Parrot.

My heart just melts whenever I look at them.

When I can get enough light to combat the red lamp, I'll take some photos of them to share.

Back
Top Bottom