So do you guys get more eggs in the winter?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by HeatherLynn, Dec 22, 2010.

1. HeatherLynn

HeatherLynn Chillin' With My Peeps

May 11, 2009
    Kentucky, Cecilia
    Ok I started out 15 layers in the summer. i swear I got maybe 3 or 4 eggs a day. pathetic! The fall was not much better. I hit freezing temps and I am down to 11 birds and they are laying 8 to 10 eggs a day. I think my hens are confused. I am no supplementing light of heating the coop either.

2. Cindiloohoo

Cindiloohoo Quiet as a Church Mouse

Dec 19, 2009
    Southwest TN
    Mine seem to be laying better too, but I do supplement light.

3. AkTomboy

AkTomboy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 21, 2009
    DJ, Alaska
    I am getting more eggs now than I did in the summer due to the girls I hatched out are now old enough to lay, how old where your girls this summer?>

4. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    Nope. I have 13 hens of laying age, and I'm getting 1-2 eggs a day. Most of mine haven't come out of molt yet. They look ready, but haven't started back up again.

5. HeatherLynn

HeatherLynn Chillin' With My Peeps

May 11, 2009
    Kentucky, Cecilia
    Thats another question all together. I thought they would not lay again till they have recovered from molting. I have one that I know layed and she looks like crap. I feel so bad. I am giving her eggs as treats like a mad woman trying to make up for her looking so bad. I might sew her up an apron just to give her some protection since she is still pretty bare in spots. They were new layers in the summer but they were laying just not often. I have 1 white egg layer and she was laying like once a week ( brown leg horn) and now I am getting eggs at least 5 days a week. I also have 2 polishes whom I do not consider to be layers but they are also giving me 3 or 4 eggs a week each too. They all seem to prefer this weather. I don't know. I am almost wondering if they had an underlying issue that I just was not catching and the cold weather has dealt with it. I also killed off the extra roos so maybe that lessened their stress. I have no clue but I hope next year they lay like this even once it warms up a bit.

6. mgw

mgw Chillin' With My Peeps

May 29, 2010
    Eastern Wa.
    Send me some of those snow chickens LOL.

7. Peppypap

Peppypap Out Of The Brooder

Dec 16, 2010
    Dallas TX
    Yep. Only one of my 5 laid in the summer. Now the other three are laying almost every day. [​IMG] Only three because the other is an older bantam hen.[​IMG]

8. wbruder17

wbruder17 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 7, 2010
    Portland, OR
    I got 5 eggs today! My most ever. My one girl just started up after her molt and the others girls are just getting into the rhythm. Still waiting for 4 (or maybe 3) to even start. I have 2 wyandottes that I can't tell apart, so im not sure if only one is laying or both, and I also have an iffy silkie that may or may not be a roo, however, im starting to feel like my hard work is paying off.good job girls! Thanks for breakfast!

9. Qi Chicken

Qi Chicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 3, 2009
    I'm getting crazy eggs too. 10/13 most days. One is crazy broody and one was sick and I don't know if she ever resumed laying so that is a high percentage.

10. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    Out of 21 hens. 7 eggs today. Best day so far this season.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by