So do you guys get more eggs in the winter?

HeatherLynn

Crowing
12 Years
May 11, 2009
Kentucky, Cecilia
Ok I started out 15 layers in the summer. i swear I got maybe 3 or 4 eggs a day. pathetic! The fall was not much better. I hit freezing temps and I am down to 11 birds and they are laying 8 to 10 eggs a day. I think my hens are confused. I am no supplementing light of heating the coop either.

I am getting more eggs now than I did in the summer due to the girls I hatched out are now old enough to lay, how old where your girls this summer?>

Nope. I have 13 hens of laying age, and I'm getting 1-2 eggs a day. Most of mine haven't come out of molt yet. They look ready, but haven't started back up again.

Thats another question all together. I thought they would not lay again till they have recovered from molting. I have one that I know layed and she looks like crap. I feel so bad. I am giving her eggs as treats like a mad woman trying to make up for her looking so bad. I might sew her up an apron just to give her some protection since she is still pretty bare in spots. They were new layers in the summer but they were laying just not often. I have 1 white egg layer and she was laying like once a week ( brown leg horn) and now I am getting eggs at least 5 days a week. I also have 2 polishes whom I do not consider to be layers but they are also giving me 3 or 4 eggs a week each too. They all seem to prefer this weather. I don't know. I am almost wondering if they had an underlying issue that I just was not catching and the cold weather has dealt with it. I also killed off the extra roos so maybe that lessened their stress. I have no clue but I hope next year they lay like this even once it warms up a bit.

Yep. Only one of my 5 laid in the summer. Now the other three are laying almost every day.
yippiechickie.gif
Only three because the other is an older bantam hen.
D.gif

I got 5 eggs today! My most ever. My one girl just started up after her molt and the others girls are just getting into the rhythm. Still waiting for 4 (or maybe 3) to even start. I have 2 wyandottes that I can't tell apart, so im not sure if only one is laying or both, and I also have an iffy silkie that may or may not be a roo, however, im starting to feel like my hard work is paying off.good job girls! Thanks for breakfast!

I'm getting crazy eggs too. 10/13 most days. One is crazy broody and one was sick and I don't know if she ever resumed laying so that is a high percentage.

Back
Top Bottom