so excited

tampitt

Songster
10 Years
Jun 1, 2009
Dallas
I was informed this morning by my husband one of the people who sell pullets at a local nursery was going to be selling today. He hinted that we had room for 2 more chickens. So we just go to take a look and see what he has to offer. We brought home 2 turken mixes, one easter egger turken mix(already laying) and a white Showgirl(about 3-4 months old). I didn't realize just how naked the naked necks were. I was very interested in how warm and soft their skin was. We both fell in love with the Showgirl because she looked so much like a little condor chick (rather ugly, yet cute). We named her Connie because she looked like a condor and the EE/turken mix Gretchen.
The flock seemed to take to them well. I only the Ee/turken get pecked at once or so. I was more worried over Connie because she is small. When I checked for eggs later, Connie was up in the nest box snuggled against the EE that was laying. And tonight one of our Buffs was up on the same perch with the new ones. The new girls don't seem as friendly as the rest of the flock, but we'd had them since they were day old, in time I hold they will be.

*covering my eyes at the tongue lashing you're probably about to get from a number of members about quarantine procedures and protecting your existing flock*

Congrats on the new acquisitions...hope they aren't carrying any kind of diseases or parasites.
fl.gif

Quote:
oh yeah(doh)...they are from a local farm that states on the website "Flock tested and certified by Texas Animal Health Commission". Others in our backyard chicken meetup group that have bought from this farm have never had any problems to date , but that doesn't mean that we won't be the first.
fl.gif

Quote:
too bad we were so dumb, they all were sick on Christmas day, except the new ones. The EE's and the production red are back to their old shelves. The 3 buff's started doing better, now they are making a "mwah" sound. We have antibotics in the water and I just started give the buffs Tylan 50 injections today because they have bubbly eyes. I'm really depressed over the whole thing. We were both too excited at the thought of new chickens to realize what it could mean to our girls.

Quote:
Thanks, I started giving the buffs injections of Tylan 50 Wensday and we let them back into the yard again. They all are looking good now. Of course we had to serperate 2 of the EE's because they decided to fight the buffs once they were let back into the yard. Today there wasn't any fighting, other then just a few pecks. I opened the back door and I had 8 chickens running to greet me again, I have to say that's a great feeling.

Back
Top Bottom