So far chickens are a pain in the butt...

Sounds a lot like me when I started.

1. First, I secured to coop. I dug a trench all around the inside of the coop and attached and burried a second chicken wire fence to discourage critters from digging. Then, I ran an electric fence along the top. It's been working well so far. I had an attack this year, but the critters dug a tunnel and chewed through a weak rusty spot.

2. Automated the watering. There's a gravity fed kit you can buy to attach water nipples to PVC pipe which runs to a 5 gallon plastic bucket. Keep the lid on the bucket to keep the water clean. No mess, just keep the bucket filled and clean.

3. Automated the feed by installing a food bin. I can dump 20lbs of food in it and be all set for awhile.

Other things I did was to install a vent in the roof - it's a spinning circular job I got for free. Now, there's virtually no smell and not so hot in the summer. Also put in a few old windows I had laying around to let in light so it's well lit and not dingy.

So, all I have to do daily is collect the eggs and make sure the food and water is fine. Once I got everything in order and a routine established, it became less work and more enjoyment. It took a couple of weekends to get the basics done, but a lot less worry in the end.

The DE is usually available at a health food store but make sure it is food grade....the other kind is poisonous.

The flies well cleaning does help but I have noticed over the years some years are just worse with flies than others....and sometimes the flies are just more pesty like. So I wouldn't give up I would just keep working at it and find a solution that works for you. They also have fly jars that do work so you might want to purchase one of those and hang it up in the chicken house. As far as your attacking/loss lock them up at night and make sure there isn't a way in the house.....

These are my suggestions without more information....I do hope you find a solution cause chickens are more pleasure than pain.

Whoever posted about the flypredators... they are AWESOME. I am new to chickens, but I use the flypredators for my horses. I am the only one around that doesn't have fly problems.

I got home this evening and headed out to check on the birds. I couldn't believe it, but no swarm. Yes, there were a few scragglers, but only a few. I still can't believe it. Hopefully they found somebody else's coop and will be gone for a while. I currently have 7 chicks, and clean out the setup they are in on a daily basis. I move it all to a new part of the yard and burry the old stuff underneath. That didn't deter anything. But today was different. Oh I am not too upset that they don't like me. I didn't really hatch them to make friends, but still would be nice. I do believe that the 3 chicks that were killed a couple weeks ago were pullets. I know I have 4 cockerel out of the 7 that are left. The footless chicken is definitely a pullet. That is the main reason why I've hesitated when thinking about culling it. It is a lot slower of course than the others, and much smaller now, but wobbles around fine.

I looked into ordering DE online and the cheapest I could find was 70 total. Shipping was anywhere from 40 to 50. There are some suppliers an hour away. Maybe I could haul down there and see what's available.

I think Miami must be a different world when it comes to flies and bugs period. They are just everywhere constantly. After much consideration, I have been persuaded to make the coop with a solid floor. I hope everyone is right. I made the coop so that the whole front wall opens like a gate for cleaning and the floor now slides in and out from the side. I was wondering if I should use bedding of wood shavings, or maybe that would be a waste of time????

I picked up a bunch of the vanilla air freshners this weekend and have almost completely finished the coop.-- have to wire the run and it's finished. This week, I will try to get some DE and set up some of the bottle fly traps. It's war with these flies.

I think that the poop-through floor is going to fight against the natural ability of the chickens to turn over the soil and compost their own droppings, since the flies will always have access to the poop.

If you have bought DE, use it, but I would pick up a bag of pelletized lime or Sweet PDZ or both for the flies. Personally I don't feel it is worth the money as these products will do the job, are easy to find, and much less expensive. (Sweet PDZ is a horse stall product.) The lime is a nondusty form of ag lime, Does a lot for flies when sprinkled on poop and litter, they don't eat it, no one breathes it, and it doesn't hurt their feet. I use fly traps and flypaper, too. Keeps them down to a reasonable level, I usually only see a few at a time. In the heat and humidity I agree you need to keep enough pine shavings in there and keep it dry. Opening up your coop to more fresh air would definitely be beneficial. Parts of my walls are wire mesh and my coop is open air above all 4 sides between the roof and the walls. Stays breezy in there. Not likely you would even have to worry about winter drafts, other than to block off the windward side.

If you ever build another coop I'd think seriously about 3 sided.

Quote:
I don't understand this concept myself, but I have hreard that having chickens in the backyard is not for everyone.
hu.gif

Quote:
Yes, you should try pine shavings. I don't know what you are using now but pine chips/shavings are great for keeping the smell down. get about 10" of pine chips in there and toss in some pelletized garden lime and you should smell a big improvement. That's what I do and I get a lot of folks who raised chickens in the past commenting on how they are surprised that mine don't stink like they remember theirs doing. I only clean my coop out two or three times a year too. Just keep turning the bedding over and add some new pine to the mix every so often.

Back
Top Bottom