So Far

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Sherry, Jun 2, 2008.

1. Sherry

Sherry Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2007
    Southern WV
    It's day 23 for my guinea eggs and I found these when I got home from work this evening.

The little boogers are loud even now! [​IMG]

Please somebody tell me, will they be ok in the incubator until tomorrow? And can they eat Purina Start and Grow like baby chickens?

[​IMG]

2. bigredsowner

bigredsowner Out Of The Brooder

Jun 2, 2008
    they should be okay but they can only live for 72 hours without feed and water. But they will still need heat for a while. We always start our babies on chick starter.

3. Sherry

Apr 8, 2007
    Southern WV
    I've got 4 now. And I'm thinking of calling in sick to work. [​IMG]

4. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    Kute Keets! LOL

When you get those little things in a brooder you will be amazed at how fast they zip around. Put a lid on it too because they 'fly' earlier than chickens! BTW - they get louder. Mine seem to think it is screaming time about the time we go to bed. I put mine in with my turkeys and they have taught the turkeys how to eat and drink. Smart lil things, too. [​IMG]

5. Must Be Losing It

Must Be Losing It Lost It

Mar 3, 2008
    Uxbridge MA
    Sherry,

They're adorable. Congratulations. For feed for my guineas I used Turkey starter. Chick starter is okay but turkey is better.

There is a book out called Gardening with Guineas that would be a tremendous help to you if you're interested. And I suggest you join the Guinea Fowl Message Board as well. Unfortunately they do charge an annual fee to join but it can be worthwhile - its $10.

Good luck!

Julie

6. Jubaby

Jubaby Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2008
    West Texas
    Cute! I'm thinking of hatching guineas for a friend this fall.

7. Eggseronious

Eggseronious Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 6, 2008
    East Tennessee
    Nice pics there! How many do U have hatching? If U dont have too many they will be ok till they all hatch or if U need to when they get good and DRY, U could remove them real fast not to lose too much humidity.[​IMG] My Dominiques started about daylight and I think they are like guineas I have never seen any so lively they are like running backs in a football game knocking each other over standing on other eggs and just going wild, I know thats how guineas are too. Good Luck with the rest of the hatch. [​IMG]

8. ginasmarans

ginasmarans Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 15, 2007
    West Tn
    Congrats on your keets!

9. Sherry

Apr 8, 2007
    Southern WV
    I have a total of 4 hatched so far. There are 24 eggs remaining. I went ahead and moved the 4 to the brooder as they kept playing kick ball with the other eggs. [​IMG]

I am happy to say they are sleeping under the heat lamp, when not running around like crazy, and eating and drinking well.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by