So glad to be a new member!

Hello all!! I am thrilled to get to know you all!! My daughter bought her little girl two chicks from tractor Sply. .. well long story short, chicks got older and we all got busy and built a temporary house made of pallets (idea from Pinterest) plus a roof of course. We lined it with hardware cloth etc. with a generous run. So.. we have a beautiful Cochin and a beautiful Australorp and they are now in their third year. Both of them are the sweetest, most intelligent birds!!! I love them! My husband had a nice chicken house with a nice big pen built for me, and they have been loving their new digs! I just today bought 4 Production Reds 5 month old pullets and am keeping them separated for a week. Our two older hens have been laying steady ever since they got old enough but we are a family of 8, and still have to get eggs at the store. The difference is amazing tho! So I’m wondering how long to keep them separate and also what would be a great Rooster breed for my little flock of 6!
Welcome. I am in the integrating process right now, but, it is chicks to adult hens. Three of the chicks with momma and 6 of the chicks without a momma. I am in the "can see each other through a fence like wall but are not together" stage. Thus far, my hens are completely ignoring the chicks. @DobieLover thank you for the experience you wrote - it was helpful.

Back
Top Bottom