So glad to be a new member!

Hello and welcome to BYC! :frow Glad you joined.
I have successfully integrated both adult to adult and raised chicks in view of adults. Regardless of how you go about it, the more space you have, the better. That usually means letting them into a very large area.

When I did the adult to adult integration, I had the new flock of 3 in a tiny pre-fab coop with a run of about 60 sq feet attached to it. This arrangement sat inside original flocks 1/3 acre enclosed pen. The original flock of 9 could walk all around the pen and check out the new girls. This went on for about 2 weeks before I released the original flock outside the pen to free range and let the new girls out inside the pen to get to know the lay of the land.
The next morning I released the new girls into the pen for about 1 hour then released the original flock into the pen. There was a chase here and there and a peck or two, but that's all.

For 7 more days I released the new girls first, then the original flock. Everyone went about their business. On the 8th night, I found the new girls had gone to roost with the original flock. There were no issues. However, I already have a rooster and the head new girl was roosted smack next to the rooster. I'm sure he paved the way for such a quick an seamless integration.

It will likely take you much longer to integrate.

As for the rooster... I would try to find one that has been raised by a broody hen in a flock of other adults. They learn the ropes much quicker and have certainly been taught some manners by the hens and senior roosters. You will also know if the rooster is human aggressive or not. You've got young children around your flock. Getting flogged by a rooster is not fun. A child can be seriously injured.

IMO there is no one breed of chicken that always has nice roosters. My senior rooster is a case in point. I was told that Salmon Faverolles made very mellow, gentle roosters. I must have the one exception to the rule! He has flogged me countless times. I've learned him and he's learned me but we share a tenuous peace. There are mornings he gets up on the wrong side of the roost and I can tell right away.

His male offspring that were raised in the flock by a broody hen are his antithesis. Both have gone on to be amazing flock leaders who are not human aggressive.

Back
Top Bottom