So,.... Here's my plan:

nvmycj

In the Brooder
9 Years
Apr 3, 2010
I moved to the CUNTRAY, not country, but CUNTRAY
lol.png
in Scott County, VA. And absolutely love it. I've always wanted chickens, and here's my chance.

I've read several books about raising chickens, asked co-workers who had chickens, and asked local farmers as well.

So,... correct me, criticize me, offer me guidance and/or suggestions to what I'm doing wrong or how I can do it better.

1st--> Fence in a 5-6 foot high enclosure with posts and wire.

2nd--> Build a chicken coop capable of housing approximately 24 chickens.

3rd--> Buy 24 chicks, feed and water and raise them until old enough to move out into the coop/enclosure.

Good plan, or not?

Other questions: 1) Are pygme goats detrimental to my chickens and their coop? I.E., will they destroy/raid the inside of the coop for eggs?

2) Is a miniature donkey compatible with my chickens and goats?

3) Any recommendations on ordering chicks would be great, as far as which on line companies are the best.

Thanks a bunch and be gentle on me with your critique!
smile.png

~~~Matej

P.S.
I'm so excited I found this site!!!

Quote:
hello and welcome to BYC from ct.!!
first check thru all the wonderful coops offered here on the webstite.
use hardwire if possible.
be sure to predator proof your run /coop
read up on raising chickens (very helpful)
and seach about the forum here, theres lots of helpful information.
before posting... possibly use the search engine. (thats helpful) (just sayin)
lots of your answers can be found upon searching.
websites that sell chickens.....mypetchicken.com/mcmurrayhatchery.com/ideal.com and perhaps your local farm supply store!!

also: i do not own goats///so i cant help with that answer!

good luck and welcome!!

Last edited:
The goats won't eat the eggs, but they'll find the feed quicker then a 6 year old can spot chocolate and be just as thorough making it disapear. They'll also climb on everything in sight. They like the tops of cars a lot too and I've had several of them that I named Houdini so quality fencing is a must. They're nearly as much fun as chickens though so it's worth the extra effort.

welcome-byc.gif

Last edited:
Thank you for your VERY prompt replies.

What is "hardwire?"

Is a 5 foot high fence high enough for predators? I plan on burying 6-8 inches of wire around the perimeter so predators can't dig underneath. Is that deep enough?

Thanks!

I read your post and felt that I had to reply.
welcome-byc.gif

Now that being said let me try to offer a bit of info.

1st your fence is good but flying predators can get in, and a cat type predator can get over i.e. big cats, bobcats etc.

2nd a coop for 24 chickens sounds GREAT! I can only have a few cuz I live in the city so I envy you.

3rd I would not buy 24 chicks if I were you. I would by like say 6-10ish that way you will have room for more when your chicks lay eggs and get broody on you.

Next set of questions.

1. I dont think the lil goats will eat the eggs or the chickens, however goats are known to eat eveything else.

2. I would say the same about the donkey.

3. I got mine from Ideal Poultry. Im happy with them.

ya.gif
yippiechickie.gif
wee.gif
welcome-byc.gif

hardwire fence, I think the poster is refering to the fact that woven wire or welded wire fence is more secure that the 8 sided Poultry wire or chicken wire that is so common. It (the poultry wire) breaks down quickly and even when new, a determined coon or dog can tear through it. The smaller "chick" wire is better, but still not as good as woven or welded. I have even had my turkeys go through it. Another climbing predator to put on your list is a fox. A couple of strands of electric fence around the bottom really deters a lot of predators, including dogs and racoons. The larger wires a coon can reach through and grab a chicken and pull it through the fence in pieces to eat. been there done that. That is why some people even fence with the tiny hardware cloth fence. However, in my opinion, if the chickens will be locked in their coop every night, or with the electric fence, the hardware cloth is not necessary. I never buried my fence, but instead skirted it about 12 inches with fencing laid flat on the ground, that works also. For the hawks, I use a 2 inch netting over the top of all my pens except the turkey pens. Remember, chances are very very good that no matter what you do, one day you will lose some to a predator. Just learn from it, correct the problem, and move on. A secure pen can make your chicken experience enjoyable.

PS. gates and entryways are frequently the weak spot. reinforce.

Last edited:
How are you going to cover it to protect from hawks and other predators? I suggest making it 6' to allow it to be covered and you don't have to hunch down. What design of a hen house?

hardwire = hardware cloth. Galvanized welded or woved wire. People use it from screening material, etc. I use 1/2"x1/2". Smalle predatros can get through the 1" material, like rats and weasels.

Getting the chicks is the last thing on the list!?!?! Bet you a dollar that you won't wait! And I agree that you should start out with less than you eventually want. You'll research other breeds, discover some that you HAVE to have, and you won't have room. Or you'll want to start hatching your own, and you'll need to rotate some out before you integrate the babies. Other than that, you have a great plan! I second the recommendation of the skirting. That way, when predators try to dig into your run, they tear up their dirty little carnivore paws!
somad.gif

Back
Top Bottom