So...how much longer?

GemmaGA

Songster
Jun 11, 2020
NE Georgia (near Athens)
I posted a week or so ago that I got my first eggs! I was very excited - I now have 3 of my 7 pullets laying daily. They are all almost 7 mo old at this point.

My obvious question.....how much longer before the rest start laying? Here's who's laying and who's not (breed wise)

Currently Laying:
2 GLW
1 Spangled Hamburg

Currently NOT Laying:
1 Spangled Hamburg
1 Jersey Giant
1 Australorp
1 Gold Laced Polish

The switch to a lower protein ration, along with some lower protein snack may have slowed down maturity. The all flock is a great way to go. That's what I feed.

If combs are bright red they may be close. Another option is they are laying elsewhere if you let them out to range.

This time of year they also can be slower to start up as decreasing light will slow down hormones, and maturity.

I have had a few take 7-8 months to start laying. Generally they are less productive breeds like cochins, and olive eggers, breeds like that.

Get them on the all flock.

Cut out all or most of the extra 'supplements'.

Examine vents and pelvic points:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/who-is-laying-and-who-is-not-butt-check.73309/

Confine them.
Free range birds sometimes need to be 'trained'(or re-trained) to lay in the coop nests, especially new layers. Leaving them locked in the coop/run for a week or so can help 'home' them to lay in the coop nests. Fake eggs/golf balls in the nests can help 'show' them were to lay. They can be confined to coop and maybe run 24/7 for a few days to a week, provided you have adequate space and ventilation, or confine them at least until mid to late afternoon. You help them create a new habit and they will usually stick with it. ..at least for a good while, then repeat as necessary.

@aart
Thanks for the guidance :) I generally only let them out in the yard to free range for an hour or two a day and they are pretty well supervised - we only have an acre lot, and they are generally confined to the fenced back yard area. We have fake eggs in the nesting boxes of the coop and the ones that are laying consistently lay in the boxes.

I don't think the other girls are laying in the yard. I switched them to the all flock over the weekend and have not given them anything supplemental since, so we will see. The ones not laying yet do seem to squat when I go to try and pet them which I think is a good sign, maybe they are just late bloomers!

I live in the south, and the weather has been a little odd - got pretty cold for a week or so but now we've warmed back up so maybe the funky weather is also throwing them off.

@oldhenlikesdogs

No, I switched to primarily layer feed a while back (at about 20-ish weeks) in anticipation of them starting to lay, but they were still getting some of my left over starter/grower that was mixed in. I just bought some all-flock (because I have two Cockerels and offer oyster shells free choice) but haven't started feeding that yet. I also was supplementing with a mixture of cracked corn, oats, and sunflower seeds as well as other regular treats like cucumbers, raw collard greens, corn on the cobb, whole pumpkins, etc. in addition to them being able to free range most days for anywhere from 1-4+ hours a day.

All of the pullets (except the other spangled hamburg) have fully developed combs and wattles that are bright red and have been for a while...which is why I am surprised that the others are not laying.

All the pullets regularly check out the nesting boxes, and join in the party singing when one of the other girls are laying...I haven't done any kind of physical check on the other girls because honestly I am not sure I am knowledgeable enough at this point to do a valid check.

I feel like I’m in the same boat, glad more started laying for you! My 6 are June babies. Two are laying, one religiously every morning for the last 13 days, the other has given me 6 eggs in 8 days. My barred rock has been squatting for almost two weeks I’d say and super chatty, checking out the nest boxes every other day and I keep saying today is the day and nothing LOL

I feel like I’m in the same boat, glad more started laying for you! My 6 are June babies. Two are laying, one religiously every morning for the last 13 days, the other has given me 6 eggs in 8 days. My barred rock has been squatting for almost two weeks I’d say and super chatty, checking out the nest boxes every other day and I keep saying today is the day and nothing LOL

All of my girls squat, check out the nesting boxes and it sounds like a chicken opera when any one of the girls lays - the JG and Polish both tend to be somewhat chatty as well so I am thinking that maybe...any day now...lol. I get 4 eggs consistently every day, and 5 some days, so I am in no way hurting for eggs. And everyone seems happy and healthy, so I am not worried - just anxious :)

UPDATE! Now that we are past the winter solstice, and we are gradually getting more daylight where I am (NE Georgia) my girls are finally back to NOT being freeloaders! Before the cold weather hit in late Nov/Dec. I had probably only 4 of my 7 hens laying regularly. After keeping an eye on them the last few days, I think all but one of my hens are laying! So 6/7 and they are about 9 months old now. The only one I think that may not be laying yet is my big girl, Layla - a blue Jersey Giant. But I am hopeful she will start soon! My Hamburg girls are still laying tiny (adorable) white eggs. I think my polish, Muppet, still hasn't figured out what the nesting box is for, because I find her white, pointy eggs in the run.....:idunno

So an update - 5 of my 7 girls are laying now. Two GLW, the Australorp and the two hamburgs, though one of the hamburgs is laying sporadically, every few days for the last week or two.

They are all almost 8 months old at this point. The Jersey Giant doesn't appear to be laying, but I have read they are slow to mature. My polish is also not laying yet as far as I can tell.

So....maybe these two are just really late bloomers? I have been feeding them the all flock now for about a month, and they actively free range on my property most days. Is it likely that they may not lay until Spring at this point?

I have a little over 1/2 acre that the chickens free range in, and I have not found any random eggs in the yard. The girls who are laying do it in the coop, and occasionally I find one from the Hamburgs in the run, but not a one in the yard that I have found.

Back
Top Bottom