So how would you manage a problem skunk?

Find a real busy highway and release them on the other side--they never seem to make it across. This works for possums to.

I trapped for many years and caught more than my share of skunks. I started out reading all the methods of killing a skunk so it didn’t spray. Don’t waist your time on reading things like shoot it so you break it’s back, use a long pole & snare to pick it up so it’s feet are off the ground, drown it (they can’t spray in water) That’s “BS”, and the many hundreds of different methods! What I have found to be most reliable is just go ahead and kill it and they either will or will not spray. If you can kill it clean and quick from a distance before it gets excited your change is better it won’t spray. However I have seen them spray with their last dieing reflex.

For disposal put them in the burn barrel with a lot of cardboard or fast burning wood. The smoke will smell a little for a while but it won’t hang around for days. They burn almost completely because of the large amount of fat in them and the spray it’s self is more flammable than gasoline. Don’t smoke while your killing a skunk cause if it sprays it will ignite with the prettiest blue flame you’ve seen!

Be there done that and it works sometimes and some times not!

Make a kill pole and fill the syringe with acetone,slowly crawl up to the trap(It is important you make no sudden movments),get within kill pole reach and slowly(can't express how slowly you need to move!!) stick the needle in the skunks chest cavity(right behind the front leg)and slowly inject the acetone.Kills instantly.This is how i do it on the trapline and after many years and hundreds of skunks i have never been sprayed,never even had one spray.

lol. what is your job?

Find a real busy highway and release them on the other side--they never seem to make it across. This works for possums to.

I really like this idea.

For disposal put them in the burn barrel with a lot of cardboard or fast burning wood. The smoke will smell a little for a while but it won’t hang around for days. They burn almost completely because of the large amount of fat in them and the spray it’s self is more flammable than gasoline. Don’t smoke while your killing a skunk cause if it sprays it will ignite with the prettiest blue flame you’ve seen!

That was my question. How to dispose of your kill. Hmmm. Well, my husband loves fire, we will see. Thanks for this thread it has really helped.​

Back
Top Bottom