So I decided to build an underground coop: UPDATE pg 33

I'm about ready to start planking the roof. I've got 4 x 8's spanning about 11 feet between walls, and the longest gap between them is 40". I'm going to use pressure-treated 2x lumber for decking, then cover that with a couple layers of thick black plastic and about 6-8 inches of soil. I have a feeling I'll have to use a screw post or two under the beams to prevent sagging, but we'll see.

Any carpenters out there know what kind of a load 2x lumber laid flat can support over 40"? Or 4x8 lumber over 11'?

IMG_2645.jpg

If it was me putting this together, and considering the load, your going to be putting 2 tons + of soil on the roof, plus with a good rain that number could increase by another 1000 lbs easy.

- 4x8 joists/decking no gap between them
- 3) steel beams 1 at each end and one in the middle with screw jacks and proper concrete pad
- skip the 2x decking.
- pressure treated wood is for ground contact, since the coop should be well ventilated humidity should not be a problem.
- roof needs a couple of degrees slant to help shed the water.

or

Give up the idea of putting soil on the roof, then its just simple standard roof construction.

Good luck,

David

-

Last edited:
Is that a chair and table I see in there? I bet your chickens are going to be in there playing Texas Holdem on that table. I didnt read prior to page 19, how come your building a chicken bunker?

It looks good by the way.

Mike

Do you think you'll have a problem with rain seeping in through the soil? Looks great. I'd like to try that here in Florida but the soil is too wet where I live.

Back
Top Bottom