So I decided to build an underground coop: UPDATE pg 33

Awwwww, but they're so darn cute!
love.gif

Quote:
exactly. you really have to consider the rain...i know of a museum on one of the agean islands here...they put a roof garden on top of the building, the engineers didn't figure the weight of the rain water into their load calcs...the roof (reinforced concrete) collapsed and killed a tourist.

Quote:
concrete isn't that great for heat/cold insulation...all the buildings here have the main structure made of reinforced concrete...we add thick sheets of polystyrene to the outside of the columns and in between the floors for insulation. bare concrete also absorbs water very well...it's great for the concrete but not for the chickens since it'll just leak right through so you'd need some kind of waterproofing. you can buy stuff that paints right onto the concrete to seal it if that's going to be your top layer.

Still pecking away at it. Just got home from Venezuela this morning. We're getting the after-effects of himmicane Bill, so there won't be any progress today.

View from the southeast:

IMG_2929.jpg

View from the northeast:

IMG_2930.jpg

View from the northwest:

IMG_2931.jpg

Roof decking almost complete, hog panels installed in windows, compost being collected and dumped. Tomorrow I'll try to finish the decking, install drip edge, and cover the roof with a waterproof membrane. Then it's time to start shoveling topsoil onto the roof.

IMG_2991.jpg

Back
Top Bottom