so I finally got oyster grit and...

chickenreyna

Songster
Oct 10, 2017
Oklahoma
My flock refuses to eat them so i have been having to sneak them in scraps. I see photos of peope on here having them in a container by themselves for their flock. Any ideas? I know chickens are a creature of habit but i assumed they would eat it without me having to sneak feed them it...

Good Question. I've wondered that myself.

Are you feeding them layer feed with calcium already in it? I do and figured that's why my flock didn't touch oyster shell.

Following to see what other opines.

I just switched to a new better healthier nutrena feather fixer 18% feed for all ages. I believe is the name ill take a pic of bag to post soon, so that coukd be the reason...good point!
Bc soneone sent me link on here and laying pellets arent as healthy or good for your flock unless you have strictly laying battery hen farm

Just leave them in a container near the food. The chickens will eat them when they need them. They may be picking up theirs own grit from the ground while they forage and therefore do not need what you are putting out. However it is a good idea to have it available just in case.

I'm not giving layer feed; I give them game bird feed, and on the side I give them oyster grit. I started offering it to them days before the first started laying and they went for it right away. I also bring eggshells out and crush them under my feet in the garden - you'd think it was candy. So exciting. All I've read is that if they need it they'll eat it. Unless you're seeing evidence of calcium deficiency I wouldn't worry. I believe excess calcium can cause kidney problems.

They'll eat oyster shell if they need the Calcium.
I feed layers feed and a 5# bag of oyster shell lasts about 11 months on average for my 5 hens.
I keep it in separate container near the water. 20170807_100056.jpg .
If you feed an All-Flock or similar feed with less calcium, they will consume more oyster shell. GC

Everything tastes better to a chicken if it's on the ground. Try scattering some on the ground to see if they eat it.
Good idea. I had it in in a tray. Well, i was feeding them laying pellets until i was informed by a member unless i have a battery chick farm strictly laying hens its actually not all what its cracked to be for yout average flock owner so i switched to a all age feather fixer feed, which BTW they love. So maybe thats why they didnt touch it they are gettib everything needed from healthier feed i switched them ri same day i purchased a bag of oyster grit! :)

Only actively laying birds will actually eat much of it and only at a certain point in the lay cycle. (I feel like maybe this is before bed since the egg forms mostly overnight) If you aren't getting thin shelled or soft shelled eggs, just keep providing it on the side and don't worry.

Back
Top Bottom