so i found a pigeon....

Pigeons are poisoned in my city so rehabbing one to release to the wild would be a waste of money.

I have a pigeon that looks to have the same break that yours does, wing was held the same. I don't believe mine will ever really fly, he can flap and flutter but can't get more than about a foot from the ground. What I did with him was fold the wing closed into a normal position and tape the primaries and secondaries together so that it stayed closed, I untaped him every few days and if the wing drooped I put it back up, if it stayed up I would leave it alone so he could use it some. If he uses it a lot it droops a bit again still (a year later) but not bad enough that it drags the ground. When I caught him he couldn't even walk due to tripping over his wing as it dragged.

Most wildlife rehabbers do not do pigeons. Because they are not a native species, they are considered feral, not wildlife. The best thing would be to take it to an avian vet, but that is not always possible.

what i would do it let it scab over. i had a spotted dove that had been hit by a car and could not fly in a straight line!i picked her up and fixed her up. under her wing was completely peeled of all skin so i just let it heal and made sure it didn't get infected. eventually she was able to be released! best day of my life. its very amazing to release a bird you cared for back into the wild. make sure she cant try to fly or she will re-injure herself.

Back
Top Bottom