So I picked up my "Pilgrim" pair...??*Updated Pics*

Quote:
I'm hoping so...one is definitely easier to deal with.Seems to adapt easier to the change...the one in the pic with it's head straight out I think is a male.It's harder to handle,stronger and hisses at you more than the other.neither has been really mean...they are just scared.
I have only had them 3 days and they were born and raised in the same place for 2 years,so I expect some fear and uncertainty.They tend to hang out around the duck run all day long.I know the guy had some ducks and more geese so this is where they feel more comfortable so I let it go...I had tried quarentining them in another area but the "female" flew over a 5 foot fence to get to the ducks...I was afraid she'd hurt herself as she "climbs/flies over it so I caved.I know they didn't have access to bathing water there because of something he said and also the behavior after their bath I gave them...they LOVED it! But the "female" was trying to dip and bathe in the air afterwards.You could tell she liked the bath but didn't quite know what to do.They are slowly learning though! Here all waterfowl will have access to pools to bathe in.It's our preference for them.There they did not.
I will have to get closer pics when we catch them to put them in tonight and post so someone may be able to tell me what I got.Either way,they are gorgeous ( alittle rough looking on the bills and feet)but they were in a barn with a LOT of poop on the floor.I don't know if it was deep lieetr method or what but it was thick.
Anyway, it took them 3 days to start grazing at all....they are finally eating now so maybe if I have a female she'll lay an egg!

Quote:
Which one do you think is the male? The one with his neck stretched out? I have one that always does that and one that just doesn't care. I don't know sex or breed of mine.

Quote:
Which one do you think is the male? The one with his neck stretched out? I have one that always does that and one that just doesn't care. I don't know sex or breed of mine.

The one with the stretched out neck I think is a male...

My geese walk around with their necks in an "s", content to let the big bad ganders do all the protecting.

The ganders almost always have their necks stretched all the way and very often have their bills pointed out. They walk more upright and do more hissing. Even when they are happy and talking to me, they will have their heads held up high, although heads tipped, not pointing at the sky.

The ganders are a lot of bluff. If the goose hisses at you, she generally means it and you had better back away from the nest.

Quote:
Thank you for that! She (if she is a she) doesn't really hiss...it's the suspected male...he acts exactly like you describe. No, I don't show fear...made up my mind on that as soon as I got them. I wanted the upper hand so I just "dove" in and caught them whenever I needed to.

Most geese with white bodies have blue eyes. The one with the extended neck is the one with the knob on the bill isn't it? I notice you didn't mention the tails (did you notice the difference?) The one with the tail in line with the wings looks like a Pilgrim Gander. The one with extended neck. knob on the bill and the upturned tail has a lot of White China in it (gender unknown) The china is more agressive and louder than the Pilgrim so a goose could be taken as a gander when compaired to s true Pilgrim gander. Lots of luck!

Quote:
Yes, the one with the extended neck has the knob and is much more apt to hiss at you. No, I didn't notice the difference in tails! So you think I have a "white china mix?" They both have some gray feathering on rump areas.

Ok..if anyone can help...I was able to get a bit closer pics thanks to my new camera with a zoom...
Here's the Gander (I'm almost positive anyway)
57454_new_cam_pics_007.jpg

Here's the goose...she has adopted the goslings and made them hate us too LOL
tongue.png

Sorry she's kinda behind the weigela...
hmm.png

57454_new_cam_pics_008.jpg

I'll keep trying to get closer pics as it drives me nuts not having any idea on breed/cross!

Pilgrim females are not white. Male geese can also adopt/care for goslings, my teenage ganders tried to get my tolouse gosling to be their baby. Can't you vent sex them? I'm sure it would be a total pain to catch them and they would hate you all the more, but thats the only way you can tell with these geese...you didn't get them from a breeder that breeds true and when you have a cross all sorts of behavior patterns from totally different kinds of geese can influence how a male or female acts. Vent sexing will not hurt your birds, they actually quiet down and are easy to deal with when you catch them and turn them upside down. Its intimidating, yes, but sometimes you have to man-up and overcome that...once I caught my geese when they were full grown I was never afraid of them again, and they knew it. If I turn my tolouse on her back when I am holding her, she gets super quiet and very confused. There are all sorts of informationals on vent sexing geese online, just yahoo it.

It won't hurt to find out what you have got, and I'd suggest not dealing with that breeder in the future unless you don't mind uncertainty in breeds and sex. Nobody will be able to tell you for sure what you have...you gotta vent sex.

Back
Top Bottom