So I quit smoking today......(HELP!!!!)

You can do it! You will always be happy that you quite. It is hard, but I know that you can do it! Try to take up another thing instead of smoking, something good for you like biking, knitting (even men knit), running, walking, ect.
Good luck!

Braclin started another thread where he/she? is quitting smoking. Maybe you could give each other support. But... Stay strong. You can do it. I watched my mom die of lung cancer and it wasn't pretty. She didn't even smoke. So, do it for yourself.

You are doing the right thing, and you have to focus on just the bad times when you crave a smoke....you have to replace the smoking habit and the payoff you got with something else you like and that can keep your hands busy during that time.
it will get harder at first for a little while but then it WILL get easier. Keep busy during those times.
If you feel yourself failing, can you look into one of those electronic cigarettes? That might be a good crutch to step down on.
Maybe get one of those squishy balls and work it the time you crave a smoke?
Good luck!

Don't laugh at me now but I discoved something the other day. My girls got new phones for Christmas with the game Angry Birds. I started playing and realized about 4 hours later (
hide.gif
don't judge! ) that I had not even thought about smoking. That was a first for me. Just be prepared to do a lot of
he.gif
and
barnie.gif
if you play it.

Good luck!
fl.gif

Good choice to quit smoking. I quit 3 years ago after smoking on and off for 25 years. After the nicotine comes out of your system it DOES get easier. I quit cold turkey because I felt like doing the step-down method was just prolonging my addiction. Thing to remember is that when you remove some habit, it leaves a void. Nature hates a void, so you want to have something to replace the smoking with, especially in times of stress. For some it is doing needlework/crochet/knitting, for others crosswords. For me, when my trigger stressors hit I would go sit on the back step and instead of smoking I would chew on a straw. You just have to find what works for you. Surround yourself with people who support your goal and will keep you accountable without being judgemental. Good luck, you CAN do this!

Just beware of nicotine gum and lozenges! They really do work to help you keep smoking, but they are every bit as addictive as cigarettes.

I should know, I've been hooked on them on and off for years. I wish I'd had the willpower to quit cold turkey, but I'm just not that strong.

Good luck with the quit!

can you hear me now? :

I quit smoking along with my wife today. She has already had a cigarette but I plan to stick with it and not smoke. I have been smoking since I was approximately 10 years old and will be 35 this month. Does anyone have suggestions to help me keep from smoking, I am already missing the things I do with my hands and want to stop. Any tips or help would be so greatly appreciated. Heck even a word of encouragement helps. I know I am doing the right thing but it sure don't feel like I am.

Way to go!! One hour at a time.
thumbsup.gif

can you hear me now? :

All I can say is I made up my mind this time. It is probably the first time I know for sire I have actually made up my mind. Here is for success I guess.

thumbsup.gif
you can do it!​

can you hear me now? :

Thanks I appreciate that. I think my biggest fear is all of the people I see that say they didn't gain all their weight till they quit smoking. My father in law is one of those guys and was a big man. 20+ years later he is finally losing that weight. I am not a small man already, I sure don't need to get any bigger.

My dad gained some weight but he lost it right afterwards:)

Back
Top Bottom