So I'm browsing Drudge Report...

Quote:
I totally disagree with that based on what I believe and know to be true. Most scientists that are against it will not come out for fear of the repercussions. The arguments I have heard against global warming seem more logical to me than the ones supporting it.

I'm not so sure about big oil either. There is a limited supply of oil remaining on this planet. The higher the cost of this limited resource the higher the profits (and tax revenues collected) are for big oil (and government). As the global warming movement influences peoples minds and governments actions the higher the price of fossil fuels rise. That is an advantage for "Big Oil".

The demand for oil, the environmental impacts, and the geopolitical issues have been at the forefront of the world for over a century now. What has been done? Almost nothing?

Quote:
Now this we do agree on with the exception of mankind trying to destroy the earth. I don't buy into beliefs like that. We are part of this planet and in the scope of history are nothing but a speck of dust. We will never come close to doing anything to this planet that thousands of geological occurrences have done.

We agree that reducing our use and dependance on fossil fuels would be good for mankind. That's another problem with the global warming concept. It polarizes people and puts them in one of two camp, pro or con, each side screaming how crazy the other side it. Our air, water, and soil has thousands of times the amount of dangerous and damaging chemicals than it should have. I work in industry and energy and have seen some scary things with my own eyes. I also see a ridiculous amount of energy wasted. Even those big companies that promote the "we're green" garbage are hypocritical monsters.

I've brought up thermal solar on many other threads in the past and gotten in many heated debates. Heating our homes and water is the number one use of energy on a residential basis. A couple grand in thermal panels have a payback of only a few years but no one has them. People put photovoltaics on their roofs which cost more energy to make and ship than they will produce in a few years and the paybacks are in decades, not years. Yet because they are "cool" it's a huge thing. I won't even get started on wind power.

My point is there are so many things we can do to reduce energy consumption beginning with conservation yet people talk, yell, and scream but nothing gets done. Then we have the greenie libs in states like mine who have 4000 square foot homes and 2 suvs in the driveway with Obama and go green bumper stickers on them. Sorry, stuck on a rant...

Probably shouldn't hit submit but the people on this thread are smart and enjoyable to discuss, not debate, this stuff with...

I still think that turning off the lights in all the empty office buildings, parking lots and businesses would be a great way conserve huge amounts of energy. It would also have the benefit of giving people back the stars. I moved to my house 15 years ago, and I could see the stars, now I can't. The continuing development in my area has lit up the night.

Quote:
Q9,
You put a smile on my face... I enjoy your witty, durable personality.. (Note, that I did not say I agree with you in the least bit...
tongue.png
)

20 inches ----- 20 centimeters....... That can happen to any of us...
smile.png

I question your sources on what they consider "natural CO2" verses "man made"
http://www.geocraft.com/WVFossils/greenhouse_data.html

I bet dollars to donuts they but the burning of fossil fuels in the "natural" category...After all oil is not from outer space? right?

So who is going to start the global warming discussion thread????????
big_smile.png

ON
May your M16 remain clean...
lol.png

Thank you.
smile.png

Burning fossil fuels is counted as man-made.
wink.png
After all, if it weren't for human activity burning the fuels, the CO2 wouldn't end up in the atmosphere so quickly, would it?

Forgot to mention earlier - the Greenhouse Effect is logarithmic rather than linear. Basically, every unit of GHGs put into the atmosphere causes roughly half the warming of the previous unit, so emissions would need to increase dramatically faster than they are now to cause any serious chaos.

Quote:
Point one: Logical fallcy. You have commited the Appeal to the Majority. Also, there have been many instances where the Greens will take anyone that can be classed as a "scientist" and put them on a list. The eternally annoying Tim Flannery is a case in point.

Point two: I assure you, there's plenty of money behind the Goracle and his cronies, and plenty of money to be made from the AGW scam. Why else would - brace yourself - BP lobby for climate legislation? Heck, a number of huge companies have lobbied for it. I'm sure you remember the Enron incident. The Goracle stands to make BILLIONS if Congress decides to murder the economy with green. Also, the government backs the AGW crowd. What better way to control the sheeple?

Mom's folly - totally agree, leaving lights on when they're not being used is tremendously wasteful. I personally wouldn't mind if they put shades on the streetlights so that the light is directed downwards.

Quote:
Point one: Logical fallcy. You have commited the Appeal to the Majority. Also, there have been many instances where the Greens will take anyone that can be classed as a "scientist" and put them on a list. The eternally annoying Tim Flannery is a case in point.

Point two: I assure you, there's plenty of money behind the Goracle and his cronies, and plenty of money to be made from the AGW scam. Why else would - brace yourself - BP lobby for climate legislation? Heck, a number of huge companies have lobbied for it. I'm sure you remember the Enron incident. The Goracle stands to make BILLIONS if Congress decides to murder the economy with green. Also, the government backs the AGW crowd. What better way to control the sheeple?

Mom's folly - totally agree, leaving lights on when they're not being used is tremendously wasteful. I personally wouldn't mind if they put shades on the streetlights so that the light is directed downwards.

I assure you there's plenty of money behind the green movement too. Not sure what Goracle is. I assume it's some kind of Rushism. There is a lot to be made manufacturing green. Lots of jobs to be had and lots of fossil fuels to be saved. Good all the way around. I know it will take money away from the oil companies and I truly feel bad for them. They always keep us in their prayers and I will miss them when they are gone. Nobody in this administration has ruled out clean coal power or even nuclear.

The best way to control the Sheeple is to keep the TV tuned to you know who. They have been more effective than the government could ever be.

Quote:

I assure you there's plenty of money behind the green movement too. Not sure what Goracle is. I assume it's some kind of Rushism. There is a lot to be made manufacturing green. Lots of jobs to be had and lots of fossil fuels to be saved. Good all the way around. I know it will take money away from the oil companies and I truly feel bad for them. They always keep us in their prayers and I will miss them when they are gone. Nobody in this administration has ruled out clean coal power or even nuclear.

The best way to control the Sheeple is to keep the TV tuned to you know who. They have been more effective than the government could ever be.

That last statement is possibly the truest thing said on this thread. Be it MSNBC or FOX, it's all fertilizer to my eyes. Heck, I have to hold my nose browsing through nearly any article.

BTW, the Goracle is just a joke I've picked up from various discussions on AGW - I can't stand Rush.
wink.png
I honestly have no issue with cleaner tech; I'm all for it, on one condition: the government does not force it. The market will inevitably come up with something - you can't ignore the price of oil going up. Unfortunately, a lot of green is subsidized by the government, solar, wind power, and biofuels just being the more embarrassing examples. If the feds stopped fooling around with the market, you'd see FAR more innovation, and stuff that actually works.
wink.png

Don't take the statement about solar as saying that solar in general stinks. I'm all for home-scale solar panels. But these huge stations are total wastes of land. And money.

I'm all for home-scale solar panels. But these huge stations are total wastes of land. And money.

I do not think were are there yet either.. Anyway I am all for point source power generation. Much is lost over transmission lines.... This also helps out with the NIMBY crowd. So with point source, the "fuel" will vary by location... Clean coal, Bio, wind, solar, hydro on and on... IMO massive generators should be history, we need small efficient generators. Then ditch the AC and make the conversion to DC...
smile.png
Ya know Tesla was muzzled..
wink.png

I must say I do enjoy a discussing this subject with you folks, even though we all do not see eye to eye on this subject...
smile.png

(Yes I admit, I am a Gore supporter, and use a An Inconvenient Truth as a "brainwashing" tool..).
lol.png

What really gets me excited is bio char to improve poor soils...
Check out Terra Preta de Indio.
http://www.css.cornell.edu/faculty/lehmann/research/terra preta/terrapretamain.html
I have read everything I could find on it.. It is amazing those plots of ground in the Amazon, they hold nutrients and remain fertile, where normally when rain forest is cleared the soil is depleted in a year or two! My soil is poor, I have been adding bio char for a few years know and real happy with the results in my organically managed soils..

Be well my fellow chicken loving thinkers...

ON​

Last edited:
Quote:
I do not think were are there yet either.. Anyway I am all for point source power generation. Much is lost over transmission lines.... This also helps out with the NIMBY crowd. So with point source, the "fuel" will vary by location... Clean coal, Bio, wind, solar, hydro on and on... IMO massive generators should be history, we need small efficient generators. Then ditch the AC and make the conversion to DC...
smile.png
Ya know Tesla was muzzled..
wink.png

I must say I do enjoy a discussing this subject with you folks, even though we all do not see eye to eye on this subject...
smile.png

(Yes I admit, I am a Gore supporter, and use a An Inconvenient Truth as a "brainwashing" tool..).
lol.png

What really gets me excited is bio char to improve poor soils...
Check out Terra Preta de Indio.
http://www.css.cornell.edu/faculty/lehmann/research/terra preta/terrapretamain.html
I have read everything I could find on it.. It is amazing those plots of ground in the Amazon, they hold nutrients and remain fertile, where normally when rain forest is cleared the soil is depleted in a year or two! My soil is poor, I have been adding bio char for a few years know and real happy with the results in my organically managed soils..

Be well my fellow chicken loving thinkers...

ON

I read an article on the bio-char in National Geographic. Great potential for poor areas. Actually, in a recent issue there was a small article on town-scale nuclear generators. VERY interesting stuff.

Oh, and as for AIT, the movie was at one point mandated in English schools, but the court ruled that it was so innaccurate that it could only be partisan political commentary.
lol.png
In ENGLAND!

Oh, and as for AIT, the movie was at one point mandated in English schools, but the court ruled that it was so innaccurate that it could only be partisan political commentary. In ENGLAND!

Yes even for my Liberal self it is a bit partisan... I guess I can not really blame him after what happend in the 2000 election and all..
wink.png

ON​

Back
Top Bottom