So IRRITATED with how my eggs were handled during shipping!

AWChickens

Songster
11 Years
Sep 16, 2008
Bloomington, IN
I've read all the horror stories on here, but up 'til now I've always had great luck with shipped eggs. I got a batch of Ancona eggs last week that I've been so excited about, and the shipper did a great job packing, as well as stamping 'fragile' and 'handle with care' all over the box. When I opened everything up 3 eggs were broken, so I knew the box had had some rough handling. But after 7 days in the incubator, only 3 out of 21 eggs are even developing, the rest look like they've been scrambled when I candle them! It's like someone took the box and shook it really hard
barnie.gif

I'm just so MAD that a box marked 'Fragile' in a dozen places could have recieved the kind of treatment it looks like this one did
somad.gif

Last edited:
You know, people can be so mean. I wouldn't be at all surprised to know that someone saw the "fragile" and did purposely shake your box. There is just not accounting for present-day "humanity". What can ya do.... we have to share this Earth with em.

First, I am sorry to hear that. :-(

Unfortunately, there ARE some people that are idiots and will do that, but I must also say, eggs go through a LOT when being shipped. Part of our training was going through the factory to see what happens to packages, etc. These packages go through endless trucks, run through on belts (I cannot remember the name of these at the moment) that go down lines and run down in to various bins, barrels, boxes, etc. After THAT when it reaches the main city destination, they are seperated and they do seperate the fragile ones differently (ones not marked fragile are thrown quite a distance from the belt to various bins, fragile ones are generally handled more carefully unless you get an idiot having a bad day).

Honestly, I always think it's amazing that we are able to ship hatching eggs and get some that actually grow. They are such sensitive things and it truly is a miracle that they make it okay and grow even in the most ideal circumstances.

(Not saying this simply b/c I work for the P.O. Believe me, I've had quite a few upset episodes, too over things. It is quite an eye opener to see all that a package has to go through to get to its destination, though.)

Frustrating, isn't it? That's why I've decided to just order chicks. By the time you buy the eggs, pay the postage, and eliminate the damaged eggs, chicks are cheaper.

I shipped an order once that was packed like this:

- Eggs wrapped in cotton batting
- Wrapped eggs placed into egg cartons
- Egg cartons taped shut
- Cartons wrapped in bubble wrap and placed into cardboard box
- First box wrapped in bubble wrap and placed inside second box

Not a single egg made it.

When I ship eggs now, I wrap each egg in large-cell bubble wrap and place it directly into a priority shipping box. Since starting that, I've not had any eggs arrive broken. (But I'm sure it's just a matter of time!)

Kathy in Texas

We only use the standard size shipping boxes, the #7 or the flat rate box. They seem to travel better. Always figured less people handle them if they go thru the sorting machines etc. And we don't mark them fragile or eggs at all. The reports we have gotten back of hatches were always higher in an unmarked box.

Steve in NC

I figure it was just bad luck and my turn- I've always had at least a 50% hatch rate on shipped eggs and once as high as 75%, and I know that's really lucky.......but boy, oh boy- the shape of that dented, mangled box just made me sick!

Back
Top Bottom