so i've never raised chicks this time of year... help!

sdshoars

Songster
11 Years
May 12, 2008
Texas
we had a dog in the neighborhood get a few of my ladies
sad.png
, so we ordered some more chicks to replace them, and i don't know if i can just go ahead and put them outside? it gets to about 100 during the day and 70 at night, it's not humid at all. i know i would need a heat lamp for at night, and shade for during the day, but is that ok?

i am actually due to have MY baby this next weekend, so i don't really want new baby chicks in the house if i don't have to. thanks guys!

I live in so cal, same sort of temps. I have young birds, but they are feathered out. I put them outside. I did put a few blankets on top of their hutch for insulation, both from the heat during the day and the chill at night. In the afternoon I drape the western part of their hutch for shade, and all sided if it is windy and cool at night. They are doing fine. When I first put them out I lost one the first night... don't know why, jus got up and he was dead in the food bowl. The rest never looked off.

I would brood them outdoors if it were winter, never mind this time of year. With warmth at night you should have no problem. You might have to make a trip out there during the night a couple of times, of course, to see how temps are, and how they are.

Bet they will feather faster and grow faster outdoors than in the house!

Back
Top Bottom