So mad at neighbor

Pics

CKfarm22

Crowing
Jul 8, 2021
Central NJ
Hey y’all, thought i’d hop on here and tell y’all about something that had happened this following week. Me and my boyfriend and his family left for vacation for a week. We asked a neighbor to watch our chickens (he has chickens and has watched them once before). The previous time he watched them, we had no problems, other then him taking the eggs that were laid that week, which we don’t mind but it would’ve been nice to come home to a whole bunch of eggs, we were planning on using them and he already has chickens so i’m not sure why he had to take ours considering we left egg boxes out and we have a fridge to put them in but any who. This time has made me really upset. I’m in central jersey and we had quite a bit of rain here while we were away. We come home to, no eggs (again), the feeder almost empty with about a half handful of food and waterer bone dry in the run, and one of the three eggs that he didn’t take had a very thin shell, therefore she didn’t get enough calcium. Before we left, we bought the 10 oz bag of meal worms from tractor supply.. the whole entire bag was gone. And we had about a 1/4 bag of flock party garden grains too when we left... that bag was almost completely gone too. Me nor my boyfriend give our chickens scratch grains on a daily basis, nor do we give them meal worms on a daily basis, only as a treat. So to find out that the feeder only had a little bit of food in it and waterer were dry along with all the mealworms gone and the scratch grains almost gone, i am completely unhappy. I brushed it off for the night until this morning when i went out to clean their coop and waterer, and fill their feeder.... i noticed that the food that was left over in the feeder from the week was moldy. On top of that, we only got one egg today from three hens that are supposed to be laying. And one of my hens has really runny poop. I have not gotten over this yet because the neighbor talks like he knows so much about chickens, yet he couldn’t of even filled their waterer or feeder, and gave them way too much scratch grains and mealworms. I know i will definitely not be asking him to watch the chickens ever again.

This makes me so angry!😡 I wish you could’ve gone on your vacation and came home without any worries! But no he had to go and do all of that! I’m really sorry. I honestly wish I could’ve come and watched your chickens for you (🤣) because this should have never happened and they should have been left with someone who really cares. This was not your fault whatsoever because he did fine the first time so how would you have known? He’s just so... fake! I’m really sorry hopefully your girls are all still doing fine. I’m sure they were very happy to see you again!😊
Exactly!! I thought we were going to come home with no worries because everything was fine last time. They were happy to see us again and finally be fed the right stuff. I’m going to petsmart tomorrow to get them some live crickets, to hopefully make up for the horrible week they had!

Sorry this happened. Did you leave him a list in writing of what you expected him to do, and how often? Like, how often to fill the feeders, what feed to put in them, and how much? When to give scratch and mealworms and how much? How many eggs he could keep and how many to leave in your fridge? How often to fill the waterers? What time to let the birds out in the morning and what time to lock them up at night?

You can't expect someone to carry out your wishes if you don't accurately communicate your expectations to them. Perhaps you did, I don't know. Do you offer to pay your neighbor for their services, or did they agree to do it in return for the eggs? There needs to be a clear understanding of what's expected by both parties. I hope you can work this out with your neighbor.

That sucks. The eggs I wouldn't really care at all. Waterer empty and basically feeding them only "chicken crack"...... argh. They may have had their kids feed them. That would explain the inconsistency.
I've met so many people that actually think feeding cracked corn or scratch is chicken feed. Completely oblivious and dont even try to learn anything.

A friend who had quineas & wanted chickens. No problem. I have plenty. Maybe 4 hens to get him started. I got the question "what do you feed them"
I give mine kalmbach layer but during molt sometimes I give a higher % protein. I always offer oyster shell either way. TSC has layer feed which I sometimes use if I can't make it to the co-op.
I found out he had been feeding his quineas scratch or Crack corn.
Had to explain and make a comparison to why he feeds specific dog food to his hunting dogs & chickens need specific food too. Just wow.

Now once informed he never has a problem asking questions so he doesn't mess up. A good fella just uninformed.

Sorry this happened. Did you leave him a list in writing of what you expected him to do, and how often? Like, how often to fill the feeders, what feed to put in them, and how much? When to give scratch and mealworms and how much? How many eggs he could keep and how many to leave in your fridge? How often to fill the waterers? What time to let the birds out in the morning and what time to lock them up at night?

You can't expect someone to carry out your wishes if you don't accurately communicate your expectations to them. Perhaps you did, I don't know. Do you offer to pay your neighbor for their services, or did they agree to do it in return for the eggs? There needs to be a clear understanding of what's expected by both parties. I hope you can work this out with your neighbor.
Yes as i stated he watched them once before and he knew what we expected to be done. And last time we were going to give him $50 for watching them for the entire week and when my boyfriend went over with money he basically said a tit for tat (i know there’s a word for it but i can’t remember it).

That sucks. The eggs I wouldn't really care at all. Waterer empty and basically feeding them only "chicken crack"...... argh. They may have had their kids feed them. That would explain the inconsistency.
I've met so many people that actually think feeding cracked corn or scratch is chicken feed. Completely oblivious and dont even try to learn anything.

A friend who had quineas & wanted chickens. No problem. I have plenty. Maybe 4 hens to get him started. I got the question "what do you feed them"
I give mine kalmbach layer but during molt sometimes I give a higher % protein. I always offer oyster shell either way. TSC has layer feed which I sometimes use if I can't make it to the co-op.
I found out he had been feeding his quineas scratch or Crack corn.
Had to explain and make a comparison to why he feeds specific dog food to his hunting dogs & chickens need specific food too. Just wow.

Now once informed he never has a problem asking questions so he doesn't mess up. A good fella just uninformed.
The thing is, me and my boyfriend have watched his chickens for a couple days while he was away and he has layer feed for them!! I’m thinking he sent his kid over to watch them because he didn’t feel up to it.

Yes as i stated he watched them once before and he knew what we expected to be done. And last time we were going to give him $50 for watching them for the entire week and when my boyfriend went over with money he basically said a tit for tat (i know there’s a word for it but i can’t remember it).
Means someday you watch his chickens when he's gone. Originally "this for that." Fair trade.

Back
Top Bottom