So many behaviors

Wayne Melissa

Hatching
May 22, 2017
So I have tried to determine which of my chickens are ladies. So many of them square off, but then I read that is common for hens too. It says hens get submissive and lay down when u pet them, but my favorite one does this, and I am almost certain he's a rooster. Only one has started to crow. I am curious because they run my yard all day and I am sure I will need to start looking for eggs like it's easter. They have a house and they go there at night but how are they going to decide to lay in the nests?

So I have tried to determine which of my chickens are ladies. So many of them square off, but then I read that is common for hens too. It says hens get submissive and lay down when u pet them, but my favorite one does this, and I am almost certain he's a rooster. Only one has started to crow. I am curious because they run my yard all day and I am sure I will need to start looking for eggs like it's easter. They have a house and they go there at night but how are they going to decide to lay in the nests?
When you really think they are ready to lay, place a fake egg in the nesting box

Melissa, just because they get older and mature, does not mean they will just submit to the cockerels, unless the cockerels were already above them. I have a RIR rooster at the very end of my pullets order, and he had to fight hard to get where he got.

Are we talking about chicks? If so, how old are they? There are often outward signs that a chick is a cockerel as early as five or six weeks. By age ten weeks, a cockerel is often already starting to get saddle and sickle feathers so you should know which are which by this time.

If your pullets are sleeping in a coop and there are nest boxes installed, they should find them when they are ready to start laying.

Back
Top Bottom