1. Come check out hundreds of awesome coop pages (and a few that need suggestions) in our 2018 Coop Rating Project!

So many bonuses while having chickens

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by patman75, Jul 12, 2010.

1. patman75

patman75 Songster

I keep having good unexpected thing happening as a result of our chickens.

- Free ranging chickens do a great job entertaining our daughter and neighbor kids.

- They can clear down a garden in the fall better than a rototiller and I don’t have to do any work.

-They can clean up leftovers from dinner in less than 5 seconds.

- My house in on an old farm field and the ground is very nutrient deficient, my garden last year was a complete disaster. Nothing grew, my onions were the size my pinkie finger. This year I had a huge pile of compost with chicken manure mixed in. My garden this year looks great!

-I have planted trees that have only grown a few inches in 3 or 4 years because of the soil. I tried compost and mulch, but it did not help. Last year I had the chicken tractor around the trees to give some shade to the chickens and this year the trees have grown over a foot.

I can't wait to see what turns up next.

2. There are so many unexpected advantages to having chickens, aren't there! Every time I get frustrated when they eat a plant I want or make a mess of mulch, etc., I remind myself of all the good they do. Not to mention that the eggs and the pleasure of having them around!

3. kla37

kla37 Songster

Apr 18, 2010
    Hillsborough, NC USA
    The biggest advantage I found was that their funny antics and personalities are really relaxing and enjoyable! If we ever need a smile, you can just go watch the chickens for awhile......[​IMG]

4. patman75

patman75 Songster

Quote:My mulch beds are a chicken disaster zone. [​IMG]

They are lucky their eggs taste so good. [​IMG]

5. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

There used to be a beautiful purple phlox in this plant ring.
    [​IMG]

Now there's an adorable, lavender bantam cochin pullet. She made that HER place to beat the heat.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by