So many broody hen!!!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Nathaniel Walton, Jun 25, 2018.

1. Up until recently I have had hardly any broody hens, and when they do go broody snap out of it pretty quick. However in the last 2 months in my flock of 30 there about 5 broody hens, and when i set them on eggs they get upset and usually leave them or behave oddly like pooping on the eggs and then leaving them... Does anyone have any idea why they could have started behaving like this? It's been very warm in my part of the northern UK recently, could that be a contributing factor?
    All advice appreciated!
    TIA

2. SunHwaKwon

SunHwaKwon Crowing

Jul 19, 2015
    Eastern Shore, MD
    If they are broody, I don't understand what you mean by you're setting them on eggs. Do you mean you're putting eggs in a new spot and moving them to them? The change in location is likely what's upsetting them. They like to pick a spot and stick to it.

How old are they?

Spring through autumn is the right time to raise babies, so yes this is normal.

chuckachucka likes this.
  3. chuckachucka

chuckachucka Songster

Mar 22, 2016
    Birmingham, England, UK.
    Yes if you want them to hatch eggs you have to give the eggs to them wherever their chosen nest spot is. If you try to move a broody they usually get very upset. It's the season for broodiness and the warmer weather does seem to contribute to that. Also I have seen many people swear that broodiness is somehow contagious. I don't think there is any scientific basis for that but I have experienced this where one hen goes broody and then others seem to follow close behind. :confused:

4. SunHwaKwon

SunHwaKwon Crowing

Jul 19, 2015
    Eastern Shore, MD
    That is so true. I was drowning in broodies last year, which isn't so much an issue when they're sitting but once the chicks hatch some broodies do not like other's chicks. I'm hoping I have one soon though because I have eggs in the incubator.

chuckachucka likes this.
  5. chuckachucka

chuckachucka Songster

Mar 22, 2016
    Birmingham, England, UK.

Oh good luck with the eggs.! I was in the same situation earlier in the year and I was sure my top hen was going to go broody in time for the incubated eggs, but did she? Nope! Had to brood them in the house. Two months later she finally went broody... Along with two of my other hens. Argh.

6. SunHwaKwon

SunHwaKwon Crowing

Jul 19, 2015
    Eastern Shore, MD
    I had one bedded down in a corner the other night and I thought "yay - perfect timing!" She snapped out of it by morning. Grrr. I bet it will be like your situation and she'll go broody a few weeks or days after I need her.

I already have 34 one-week-old chicks brooding in my shed. Ahhhh! Lol

chuckachucka likes this.
  7. Yeah when they are going broody i am moving them and putting eggs underneath them, but my concern is why so many have started gooing broody at once, very abnormal

8. Contageous broodiness seems more irritating than than the rat problem i had last year :D

SunHwaKwon likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by