So many choices

Straw, chips or poop board. Building this new coop. Need automatic pooper scooper. 😂
I'm pro poop boards.
They keep the coop cleaner and practically odor free when the PB litter is Sweet PDZ.
They make examining the nightly poop load each morning easy. This can lead to early detection of health issues as well as the discovery of visible worms or excess intestinal shed.
I only clean the coop floor bedding annually because most of the load hits the boards or is deposited in the run.

Straw, chips or poop board. Building this new coop. Need automatic pooper scooper. 😂

If you’re building from scratch you might do something similar to what I have. The roosts are re-purposed stair handrails, over some re-purposed wire panels.

Under the roost area is the poop collection area that can be accessed from the outside for clean out. It falls to the ground ( no floor) and I only clean it out about once a year. It collects under there where the birds can’t get into it and just drys out and doesn’t smell.

might not be for everyone, but it’s worked well for me

EA6A1178-E69D-4189-87AA-EFDDAF40898F.jpeg
743D0DFC-0B27-4678-AC11-3A363A1F56E9.jpeg
4D3ACC5B-CA65-4F10-BD54-B3870080B989.jpeg

I'm pro poop boards.
They keep the coop cleaner and practically odor free when the PB litter is Sweet PDZ.
They make examining the nightly poop load each morning easy. This can lead to early detection of health issues as well as the discovery of visible worms or excess intestinal shed.
I only clean the coop floor bedding annually because most of the load hits the boards or is deposited in the run.
Ditto Dat!!

If you’re building from scratch you might do something similar to what I have. The roosts are re-purposed stair handrails, over some re-purposed wire panels.

Under the roost area is the poop collection area that can be accessed from the outside for clean out. It falls to the ground ( no floor) and I only clean it out about once a year. It collects under there where the birds can’t get into it and just drys out and doesn’t smell.

might not be for everyone, but it’s worked well for me

View attachment 2451010View attachment 2451008View attachment 2451009
My chickens' poo never smelled...I never cleaned it. I have 10 chickens. Their 10x10 stall was a dirt floor. I was never sure why it just dried up and I didn't have to deal with it.

I think your idea is a very clever one. What kind of wire is that?

I think your idea is a very clever one. What kind of wire is that?
Thanks!

So a lot of my coop was repurposed materials that I picked up for free here and there, including that wire.

so with that in mind, I’m not really certain on the wire, but it was basically 2 ft x 3ft panels of vinyl coated 1.5” x 1.5” wire. It’s a heavy gauge... I’m thinking maybe it was something used for dog kennels, maybe?

but if I were to buy something to use, I’d probably just buy standard gauge 2x2 welded wire with no vinyl coating

Back
Top Bottom