So much is happening at once!! :D My new chicks *PIC HEAVY*

TimBaumann

Songster
7 Years
Apr 8, 2012
Namibia
During the past 2 days so much has happened in my backyard that I'm still in awe! My bantam hen went broody three weeks ago, shortly after her my chinese blue breasted quail also went broody and shortly after the quail my silkie hen also went broody!

Two days ago I went out to look at the aviary birds and found my male quail dragging a chick across the aviary by the head! I quickly grabbed it and brought it inside! It had blood over its right eye and the other eye was closed! After some while under a heat lamp it started breathing properly and opened its left eye! I mixed some sugar water and gave it some drops. Shortly afterwards it started moving around a bit and went to sleep. Now it chirps constantly when its awake, eats a lot, drinks a lot, sleeps a lot and also poops a lot which is GREAT! It was the only quail egg that has hatched up to now so it looks like it will be alone until its old enough to go back into the aviary. The sweetest thing about the chick is that when I make a peeping sound it runs towards me and tries crawling under my hand! Here it is-

I used the thermometer tip to show it where to peck for food:)

Now it pecks all by its self!

My bantam hen!
Today my bantam hens' eggs hatched. She already once hatched some of her eggs but the chicks disappeared one night and we think it was rats since we had a rat problem at that time! I think 6 eggs have already hatched out of about 8 or 9 but I'm not sure! Two silkie eggs have hatched which I smuggled under her before my silkie went broody! So now I have a few normal bantam chicks and two silkie chicks! Here they are with their mother-

The silkie chick-it has yellow feet which is weird but I don't think that y silkies are pure breed so I'm not that surprised! But as long as it has fluffy feathers its a silkie to me! I don't care about comb or colour! :)

All the chicks are brown with black markings except two! This means that the two yellow/white ones would have to be the silkies right? There is only one problem.. one of the yellow ones doesn't have feathered feet. Now the combs of my silkie hens are not perfect.. one has a normal single comb while the other has sort of a silkie comb but not exactly so I think maybe some old genes from a mixed silkie might have caused the clean legs! I can't wait to see them grow up
wee.gif

For now these are the only chicks but since my silkie has been sitting a while I expect some more in the next few days! And my second silkie hen has also decided to go broody two days ago so I used the opportunity and put some quail eggs under her! I one of the eggs has broken but the rest seems to be doing well so I hope she will hatch some quail and chicks for me!
smile.png

**** it!!!! While we were working outside one of my larger hens got one of the two silkie chicks (The one without leg feathers)! When I got hold of the chick it had a deep cut on its cheek! It died just a few minutes ago! Why do they do this? Do they think that the new chicks are a threat or are they just mean?
Now I moved the hen and remainder of the chicks into the chicken house which we finished today!
I just can't believe that something bad happened again!! And I'm starting to really believe that the rats weren't the ones who made all the previous chicks disappear. It probably were those hens again!
sad.png
hit.gif

**** it!!!! While we were working outside one of my larger hens got one of the two silkie chicks (The one without leg feathers)! When I got hold of the chick it had a deep cut on its cheek! It died just a few minutes ago! Why do they do this? Do they think that the new chicks are a threat or are they just mean?
Now I moved the hen and remainder of the chicks into the chicken house which we finished today!
I just can't believe that something bad happened again!! And I'm starting to really believe that the rats weren't the ones who made all the previous chicks disappear. It probably were those hens again!
sad.png
hit.gif
we ALWAYS separate hens when they go broody. When the chicks hatch the others will kill them for reasons i dont know.
when the chicks get big enough they go in with the 'big girls'

I'll see that I get some cheap mesh and then I'll create a barrier so the hen and her chicks can come out of the house if they want to! Thanks

I'll see that I get some cheap mesh and then I'll create a barrier so the hen and her chicks can come out of the house if they want to! Thanks
i use something that i found on the curb years ago. only problem with it was it had a board rotting so we fixed that and it works great!

If you plan on having all your broodies hatch something out, i would go with something more permanent than in the house.

i would fix yourself up an A frame coop. smaller than this one of course. But one that the momma can go out any time in the day and show her chicks how to peck and stuff. easy to make and everything :)

That's a great idea! And it looks like it could be really cheap to make! we have this nice little wooden desk thing that I could use since it has this box attached to it that would make a perfect nesting spot! I could try to recycle it into a small chicken coop! Thanks for the idea I think this would work very well for me! :)

Sadly the other silkie chick died a few minutes ago! It was always a bit quieter than the other chicks but today it stayed in the nest while the mother took the rest of her chicks out to eat! I took it in and gave it some sugar water but it just slept and never opened its eyes! It moved a bit and then I gave it some more water but then it died. I hope it wasn't drowned by me but I only gave it a small amount! But since the mother just left it in the nest I'm sure she knew there was something wrong with the chick! I'm just sad I couldn't save it! And I also found the second quail chick with one leg not working! It was probably attacked by the other quail but it's very healthy otherwise and hobbles around and drinks water! And I have another quail egg that has just made it's first crack in the shell! It's under my silkie for now since the quail has stopped brooding! I hope this one will have no problems and that I can get to it before something happens!
fl.gif

OH COME ON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I can't take this anymore I will kill this retarded chicken! I left my hen for just a few seconds and what does she do??? She walks to the silkies nest and eats the freakin quail egg that has already piped a hole through the egg, just hours from hatching! That STUPID STUPID HEN!!! Why does she have to constantly eat and kill everything that hatches???? I can't believe I let this happen!!! WHY????????????????????????????????????????????????????? From now on that hen is going to be the one I hate! If I feed treats she will have to find a way to get them because I won't bring her anything she can have the left over crumbles or something!
hit.gif
I wanted that quail egg to hatch sooooooo badly and now this happened! I'm glad this website doesn't allow foul language because this post would be the filled with every bad word there is!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom