So, my run stinks. literally.

I used pine needles in my run once.

I had chickens that looked like they were imitating porcupines. I guess when they dig through them to get to dirt for a bath, and then roll around, the pitchy ends stuck in feathers. It was hilarious and frustrating.

After a week or so they dusted up and didn’t stick any more.

I can’t tell you how many times I have put my hands in a bale of shavings and caught myself on a bit of a stake or sharp edge, even the brands approved by her majesty the queen. Depends on flake size though. The larger the more problems.
To that point, even straw pricks me. People use it all the time though for chicken bedding. Let's not forget that chickens have scales on their feet. They do just fine with all the bedding options mentioned.

To that point, even straw pricks me. People use it all the time though for chicken bedding. Let's not forget that chickens have scales on their feet. They do just fine with all the bedding options mentioned.
I’ve unloaded literally thousands of bales of hay and straw on deliveries drawing blood up and down my arms and dug shavings out of a lot of bags but let me tell you there is a world of difference
Between a bit of a scratchy stalk or even a bale with a few thistles in it vs large solid and pointed stakes of wood covered in a thousand jagged splinters that get caught in an animal's coat and feathers and cause cuts and abrasions. Sure they have scales, but poultry get sore feet all the time. As keepers I think we should always be aiming for more than ‘just fine’ but that’s my opinion.

Back
Top Bottom