So nervous about raccoons!

If it gets a taste of chickens or eggs the only option is to call in turtle man or follow through with the pitch fork. Electricity works well I.e. electric fencing. The rooster would be the first helpless victim, they can't see in the dark. I've heard of folks losing entire flocks in one night... I in the other hand, have no problem resorting to violence to protect my food source... Besides that the coons are the worst. They carry some nasty parasites. Yes they are cute but they are lazy and go after the easiest food source they can find. Make your coop a hard target or you will be sorry.

I had a raccoon reaching through the coop ripping the heads off some pullets-so nasty I know but true! I caught him in a live cat trap and while waiting for my neighbor to take him for a little "ride" he literally bent the wires of the door of the trap and escaped. I think he is a little scared so hasn't been back but its just a matter of tiime-I also caught a skunk in the trap, so lots of fun there. I got a super-strength trap and I'm going to keep setting it until he's gone or he'll kill my whole flock. I think you have to get rid of it or it will just keep coming back and the one time you forget to lock the coop it will get them. Good luck-They are a lot stronger and meaner than they look so be careful!!!

Here is my answer...
images
images

If you don't kill them. They will come back. If you relocate them 5 miles away, you will see them again in a week. Once you have him trapped, hit him real good on the back of a head with a shovel. Instant death. Skin him, brain tan to get a good skin and cook him. Here are some good recipes, http://www.cooks.com/rec/search/0,1-0,raccoon,FF.html

Getting rid of a raccoon will not always solve your problem.
Once your pest is gone...it leaves your area open for another one to move in.

Like many predators.....they have their territory and will defend it.

If you can protect your chickens which is sounds like the original poster is doing, the raccoon (s) will actually help keep others away.

If you are prepared to trap a raccoon of any critter for that matter.... you had better be prepared to dispatch it ASAP.

Relocating a pest or predator only forces your problem off on someone else and open the territory up for something else to move in.

Getting rid of a raccoon will not always solve your problem.
Once your pest is gone...it leaves your area open for another one to move in.

Like many predators.....they have their territory and will defend it.

If you can protect your chickens which is sounds like the original poster is doing, the raccoon (s) will actually help keep others away.

If you are prepared to trap a raccoon of any critter for that matter.... you had better be prepared to dispatch it ASAP.

Relocating a pest or predator only forces your problem off on someone else and open the territory up for something else to move in.

Spot on - Racoons will mark the territory one way or the other - either an open dinner table or off limits marker... That is the purpose of "man pee", it says off limits, top predator here!
My neighbor feeds the wildlife and has gone as far as requesting that I don't hunt deer on my own property because she feeds them everyday. I'm OK with that and animal lovers in general... And I must say I was a little embarrassed when a deer ran across her property with an arrow sticking through its neck... OOPS! Don't worry, I tracked it and it is happily residing in freezer Camp. Lately she has been feeding a family of coons as well, that may be my saving grace since her property line is only 100 yards from my coop and they stay fed. The only coon I ever saw on my property walked directly to one of my pee trees, took a sniff and did a 180. I pee a lot on that side of the woods ;-) Since she doesn't complain about my twelve roosters crowing at 4 AM we kind of have an unspoken truce...
NikonD2xer is right, the minimum distance to relocate "pests" is at least 10 miles away - upwind! Otherwise be prepared to see them again. The instincts are strong. If you trap be prepared to deal with the follow up... I prefer .410 guage for close in "glad to meet you" scenarios. It doesn't have to come to that if you are willing to spend the money and do the work to predator proof, repel, and deny the "enemy" easy access to your poultry.
I have a batch of 50 American Bresse pullets brooding right now and I can already "feel" the beady eyes staring from the distance in the night, salivating, dreaming of the day they can pick up an easy four piece with their EBT... It's not going to happen on my watch!

Do not feed the wildlife because any animal is either a predator or prey. Chickens are prey. The difference is clear - if the eyes are located on the side of the head - prey, if they are in front, predator. If your still unsure check for canines (the teeth for ripping meat or vampire teeth depending on your pov)... I tried to tell my vegan sister this but she is in denial!
Anyway - good luck and any advice, observation or recommendation I give is only from my experience. I am a born again city boy. Your mileage may vary.

love the eye analogy. never thought of it that way. Not sure it applies to birds of prey but I get it as far as differentiating a goat from say a racoon.
So side note... is the racoon thread the chicken guy hangout? ;-)

heh just sayin

Predatory birds have telescopic vision.
[/IMG][/IMG]
The thread is mainly dealing with raccoons but could apply to most predators... I live a mostly sedentary life, 99.999 % boredom and .0001% sheer terror. LOL - I'm not kidding though When it comes to threats to my food supply I don't mess around, I have been hungry and I have lived amongst people that would take my life to feed their own kids for one more day... Anyone who thinks it can't happen to them should review world history.
I have twelve people that depend on me to feed them everyday.

Last edited:
My coop is way closer to a creek than I like but it was the best spot I had. I have no problem with carrying my 22 caliber hand gun to the coop with me. Any surprises there will be dealt with swiftly.

My coop is way closer to a creek than I like but it was the best spot I had. I have no problem with carrying my 22 caliber hand gun to the coop with me. Any surprises there will be dealt with swiftly.

Me, too. I wear a pistol every night when I go out to shut their door. Racoons are major carriers of rabies. The only kind of fight you want to have with one involves firearms. Yours.

Take the tracks seriously. Your spring-loaded hooks are OK. If the coop is impregnable - no problem. If not, you've had your warning. I once set out a driveway alarm and napped on the porch with the receiver for the alarm, flashlight and gun. Intercepted the racoon when it came back in the middle of the night.

Or get a trap, as suggested. But, as also previously said, be prepared to do away with the critter and that does not mean take it somewhere.

Back
Top Bottom