So Our DD Wants A Bunny

I've known bucks that can live together and I've known bucks that as soon as the hormones kicked in they tore each other to shreds. I've seen does do the same. While a lot of rescues advocate getting a pair or getting your bunny a friend, I really find that they will bond to each other and the human is just there to serve them. They may be really cuddly but I've found that if you have a pair the bunnies don't really need anyone for attention so they won't be as cuddly with a human as they are with each other.

Hermes bonded with me in a week. I would love to have a few more rabbits but I want Hermes to continue to be my friend and I don't want to share. That being said, since he's with me all the time he doesn't get lonely. If your daughter isn't going to spend a lot of time with the bunny then getting two would be a solution to bunny loneliness. Just remember that it's twice the litter box changes and cage size with two. If you get two of the same sex I still recommend you neuter/spay them.

My dd wanted a bunny. I got her 3 dwarf female bunnies and one blue lionshead male bunny. She held them and played with them the first night. All was good. The next morning she woke up with a fierce rash and her mouth and tongue were even a little bit swollen but no breathing problems. Oh no!! She is allergic to the rabbits, we thought. Went to the doctor etc. Took almost a week for her rash to totally go away. Had to keep the bunnies outdoors away from the house. No more problems. Later, after we moved, I found her by the bunnies one day (she is a teenager) she was touching and petting them through the wire etc. I told her not to mess with them because she would break out again. She didn't break out though, no allergic signs at all....after a little trial and error, turns out she was allergic to Timothy Hay that was all over the bunnies the first time. She had been messing with thier hay etc. as well the first time when she broke out. She is totally okay with petting the rabbits now as long as she stays away from the hay. Go figure.

Shavings have done that... well not THAT, but I have a reaction. Where they touch my skin I get this spot of I don't know what... maybe skin oil + wood oil = this rust colored splat? Washes right off, bit itchy, but isn't that weird?!?!

Seems the overall general opinion is that one bunny will be okay (usually) as long as it's given enough attention... so you don't HAVE to get two... can, but spay/neuter and stick to littermates if you can... can find littermates at a breeder, at a shop they just throw everyone together all willy nilly (IMO) so no guarantees... also pet store might have 3-6 month old girls in with the boys and may take home a preggers girl (glad you mentioned as early as 3 mos!!) one more reason to go to a breeder... also breeder will have mom and dad on hand to judge their personality and what they might pass on (good idea with dogs to check parents, makes sense to do the same with buns)

I'ma have to check Texas Law... I know with Dogs (and maybe cats?) if an animal has been in the pound then By Law you must get it fixed within X amount of time... They Will Hunt You Down if you do not present them with a vet bill showing the sterilization within that time. Wonder if the same applies to bunnies.... and if it does if it applies to Shelter/Rescue or ONLY to Public Pounds...

Mattie, only dog we got on purpose, is a pound puppy... I don't mind shelter babies at all... hmmm think I'll go cruise petfinder to see if there are bun rescues near us.

My daughter is 14 and she has had a rabbit for the past year and a half. I was really against it because I didnt have a large hutch for it and I dont like how people keep them in a box barely big enough to turn around in. She wanted an "inside" bunny, which I was against even more. I kept telling my daughter that she dont keep her room clean NOW - how could she think that I would allow a rabbit to move in?!! The person she got him from said if there was a problem at "any" time she would take him back, so that sealed the deal for me.

She went with my wife and brought the rabbit home. I was patiently waiting for the day that it was going back. Well, ill tell you what, not only did she start keeping her room clean but she also trained the rabbit to use the litter box! Sometimes she gets a little behind in the cleaning (you'll know when this happens) but she does try hard to stay on top of it. I have been impressed.

That rabbit runs around the house, up/down the stairs, jumps on the bed at night, waits for us at the door when we come home. Over the winter I was thinking about taking the old 12' X 16' sandbox with a roof that I had built for them as kids and closing in the sides and making a large "play area" for the rabbit. I enclosed 1 side in chicken wire and made panels that swung open so he could see outside. After it was completed I realized that I had done everything for the rabbit, that I needed to get done for some chickens. The wife and I were at Tractor Supply one afternoon getting rabbit food and they had "Chick Days" going on. She came back with a sales clerk and a box and she said "get some, you have talked about it for years, now you have a place to put them".

So now the rabbit spends it's days outside with the chickens and night's inside with us. The need to clean has been reduced considerably and the rabbit gets some interaction and exorcise with the chickens as well. Youll need to clip the nails often, and most of the same treats for the chickens, will work for the rabbit.

I'd been toying with the idea of getting a bunny that could spend some time in my chicken coop. I've made rabbit hutches and I've now made my first chicken coop, and the requirements are pretty much the same. I just wasn't sure how the chickens would like the bunny and vice versa. Do yours get along?

Yes, mine gt along fine. They even share the salad
big_smile.png
Sometimes the rabbit will run into a flock just to see them scatter but lately, they dont move at all. They just stare him down, give him a dirty look and walk away LOL.

I have heard that for some, it does not work. But for us, it does.

Good Luck.

Back
Top Bottom