so sad. lost my sweetest chicken. Help on netting?

alaskalife

In the Brooder
Apr 30, 2019
Anchorage Alaska
I lost one of my girls yesterday. I came home and what i assume was a hawk killed and ate my Ellie . The rest of them went in the nesting boxes and hid. thankfully. I just did twine over the top of the run. I have a big bird net coming in the mail on Saturday. I spent 100$ on supplies and none of them worked so twine was my last hope. I just hope it will work until Saturday. Should i get more twine or will it do? We also hung old dvds up.

Attachments

• AB261338-EB54-4DB1-A7F3-AA883D431434.jpeg
    AB261338-EB54-4DB1-A7F3-AA883D431434.jpeg
    3.2 MB · Views: 30
I lost one of my girls yesterday. I came home and what i assume was a hawk killed and ate my Ellie . The rest of them went in the nesting boxes and hid. thankfully. I just did twine over the top of the run. I have a big bird net coming in the mail on Saturday. I spent 100$ on supplies and none of them worked so twine was my last hope. I just hope it will work until Saturday. Should i get more twine or will it do? We also hung old dvds up.
i have rope with CD's and neon pink streamers hanging from the rope, a year and a half and i am lucky i have not lost any chickens to hawks, just two 4 week old babies to a raccoon

I'm so sorry for your loss. :hugs
That looks pretty good. (The twine)
I'm not sure, but you might need a little more...
As long as a hawk can't swoop in through any hole in the twine that a hawk could fit through, they should be safe. (From hawks, that is. :hmm)

Sorry for your loss! :hugs Twine looks like a good idea but the space between it might be just enough for a hawk. Any chance you have an old sheet or tarp you could cover it until Saturday?

Welcome to BYC by the way! Hate that your first post is under bad circumstances :hmm

I had fishing line over my pens but an owl still got into one of the pens. Now I have netting covering all of the pens and have not lost a bird since to a raptor getting into a pen. Good luck...

UPDATE:
HAWK CAME BACK. I was putting my kids to bed and i had a feeling to go check. There it was right on the outside of the coop looking in the window! So clearly it couldn’t get in the run but still yikes. If i hadn’t been out there It may have tried to squeeze in somewhere. Makes me anxious thinking about it. I took my shoe in the air and shouted at it and it flew away instantly. I locked the coop up for the night. We don’t have many options where i live. I tried Lowe’s, Home Depot, Fred Meyer & our only sporting goods store. I can try Walmart tomorrow. I just cleaned the coop out really good tonight since i know they will be locked in there any time i leave the house now. When do these kind of animals give up? Will it take a few times. It looked pure evil and i just hate it.

Back
Top Bottom