so sick, how to soothe a sore throat?

Discussion in 'Family Life - Stories, Pictures & Updates' started by shadowpaints, Jan 17, 2011.

1. shadowpaints

shadowpaints Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 20, 2009
    Rigby, Idaho
    i have a mix of the flu and a cold. last nite i had a high fever (103.8) today my throat is sooo sore. feels like i swallowed a bunch of nails or something!! is there any way of coating my throat with someting so i can eat with out being in pain?? preferably no medicines. too many things conflict with my meds i take for my brain malformation

i was going to go into the dr today but didnot feel well enough to be driving

2. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    Warm salty gargles 3 or 4 rimes a day, or more if you wish, for probably 2 or 3 days. About a rounded teaspoon of ordinary salt dissolved in a small glass, like a juice glass, about 4 oz. It isn't soothing so much as a way to get the gunk out of there that is causing the pain.

You can buy things like Cepacol throat spray or lozenges at the drug store. Contains benzocaine and menthol. Benzocaine is a topical numbing agent, similar to what dentists inject into the mouth. It will make the throat feel better for a few hours but doesn't help it heal.

You can also buy most any cough drop which will be a little soothing and will coat the throat with sugar for a little while.

3. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    Tylenol or ibuprofen (Motrin, Advil) or aspirin will take the edge off, if you can take any of these medicines.

4. imtc

imtc Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 30, 2008
    gargle mouthwash (that's what I do sometimes). The mint will soothe it for a little while and probably kill some of the bacteria that is causing it.
    tastes better than the throat spray stuff in stores.

5. farmer_lew

farmer_lew Hi-Tech Redneck

Jun 29, 2010
    In the hills
    A teaspoon of honey will ease a sore throat temporarily

6. Ema

Ema Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2010
    N. Ontario CANADA
    I do the salt water gargle and drink tea with honey in it to alleviate the pain. But I also take Benelyn all in one for times like that too. I hope you feel better soon.
    [​IMG]

7. justbugged

justbugged Head of the Night Crew for WA State

Jan 27, 2009
    Enumclaw
    All the above posters have said it all. I hope you feel better soon.

8. shadowpaints

shadowpaints Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 20, 2009
    Rigby, Idaho
    thanks i will try the salt water gargle.

i havent been able to eat much since yesterday because after the first 2 bites i decide i would rather starve... then be in that much pain lol

with the tea, is there a certian kind i should drink?? i have a million and one kinds in the cupboard

9. TigerLilly

TigerLilly I failed Chicken Math

Jul 18, 2010
    Central Florida
    Make a honey & vinegar mixture (something like 1T acv & 2T honey. warm it up (but be careful if using a microwave) or just mix it together & down it.
    It's a natural healer for sore throats. I use it all the time & it's not as bad as it sounds.

10. math ace

math ace Overrun With Chickens

Dec 17, 2009
    Jacksonville, FL
    Quote:That throat spray is the BOMB. . It is worth every penny. You can even buy it with an extender so that it reaches way back in your throat. DO say Awwwwwww when spray it. Your tongue will go down and you will get a much better spray coverage!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by