So sick of this Help please

Raccoons have a sweet tooth too so things like marshmallows work well and usually don't entice your cats and dogs into the trap. You might want to sit up with some firepower too. Coons are smart and if it's been trapped before you could be in for a rough time. Good luck and keep us posted.

Coop and run security first, then trapping second.
wink.png
You have to have serious coop issues if you have lost so many so quickly. Electrification is great too and works for you forever, 24-7 (exc for power blackouts like I had last night for 3 hrs) I have an electrified pen and I lock down my coop every eve at dusk. Only an insect, bull elephant, or two-legged skunk can get into mine once I lock it down.

If he is trap-savvy then some bleeding heart trapped, then let him go in your locality. Like Kittymomma said, marshmallow are cheap and effective bait. Be sure to stake down the trap really good. A really big coon can tear up a Havahart trap too. Sweetcorn soaked in antifreeze might do it, but really risky regarding pets that could eat it.

I agree about the hardware cloth and squaring up and solidifying the frames if needed. Our coop is a self-contained unit in our barn and we have a raccoon living in our loft - 'Mary' (long story). We used Mary's skills to teach us how to keep out all kinds of predators and we live at the edge on the woods in a very rich predator zone plus we are in a pine parten protection district. There's nothing like keeping them out! No losses...despite the fact that Mary eats with the cats.
cool.png

Last edited:
You can fool a a coon that's become trap leary with what would seem to be an even more obvious trap . Build a wooden box that is just big enough to enclose the livetrap without interferring with the trap door or trigger lever ; leaving one end completely open and the other with slats that a racoon can see through . At an area where the coon has reached through the wire before or in a chicken entrance , secure the box inside of chicken enclosure well enough that it can't be pushed away or be squeezed around to get past to the opening made or already existing in the chicken enclosure . Its going to look like a tunnel entrance into the coop or pen . You can bait and set the trap , then slide it in the open end of the tunnel with the trap door facing out ; but it does not always need to baited as the coon may have become bait shy and just looking for live birds only . It can see the chickens through the slats at the end of the tunnel and will step on the trip pan as it attempts to find the easiest way to get to them .

Last edited:
I found this method from and old friend of mine to be very affective for detering coons around my pheasant coop. I nailed up four feet of recycled corrugated tin roofing all around my coop. This keeps the pheasants from spooking if a predator or my cat wanders close to the coop. It also deters the coons from grabbing a bird through the wire and keeps them from trying to climb up the sides. The tin was free and the only cost was for the nails to tack it on. I burried the tin about six inches in the ground to keep critters from digging under. I haven't lost a single bird since.
Just an idea to critter proof your coop. I have more ideas. Just ask. I have more predators in the area than most and keeping my birds safe so far.

Typically I use about whatever to bait a live trap, but for those that are trap shy I use sardines or kipper snacks which ever you can get. I have yet to have a coon that could resist them. Now the main problem when using bait in a livetrap is not the bait as much as how its set. First wire a tunafish can or your sardine can directly in the middle of the trap as far back behind the trigger pan as possible. If the back of your trap is wire (which would allow it to reach through and take bait) also wire a board to the back. It sounds more difficult than it is. This has never failed me on raccoon. Mainly you just need the bait to stay in place so they can't knock it to a side and eat it. Also by setting it so far into the trap they get their back feet hung up on the trigger (a smart raccoon will always watch where he puts his font paws but has a harder time with his backs).

Baby Monitor: Neighbors wont hear a 22 shot once. set the trap and tie the bate to the trip wire. My coons have learned to step over the trip plate. So I tied a chicken bate to the trip wire. Caught him right away. Use the Baby monitor to notifiy you they are in the pen. Chase them up a tree and shoot them.
I am sorry you are loosing birds. I hope my suggestions will help.

maybe the problem is the have a heart trap. I have used those and they worked. I have also used the old fashioned kind where they get a leg caught in it and I had to put them down. dig a small hole, pour the sardines in the hole and put the iron trap on top of it and cover it lightly with leaves/straw or feathers. they will not see it and BAM they are caught.

Trap with door on both sides so it looks like a tunnel, and honey bun for bait. Leg hold traps around the places where he has broken in before work sometimes too. Round here its usually BANG, Yum.

If you can get your cats put up, set a conibear in the place where they were getting in the coop.

If you can't put your cats up, get yourself a coon cuff or a lil grizz. Pretty much cat proof.
wink.png

Back
Top Bottom