So....talk about.....CANCER SUPPORT THREAD !!

Dad passed the 27th of last month, and I've still not had my chance to just sit still. Luckily we were all together, including my aunt, his sister who was here in town. Grandma, and Mom are now in Olympia, and so is my sister. I don't really know what else to say, other than I'm glad his struggle is over.

With Dad and Grandpa gone, they must have really needed a bridge and roads in the big place in the sky, I am not a Godly man, but I believe there is something after this world. And it is a better place. Both Dad and Grandpa were civil engineers and built roadways, including many major interchanges where I grew up and in the Seattle area and for that matter across the state. I like to think those two are up there arguing over the structural needs of a bridge over the river of life. And Grandpa is out fishing everyone. It's been a hard month, and today is one of my hard days, but life shall go on. I miss them both. I've been driving Dad's truck, that I am about to receive from my Mother, and I have been driving Grandpa's truck the last 5 years since he passed, and I still own my first truck. It's kind of fun to look out the window and see the three generations of trucks out there, and remind me of them.

End of my blabbering, hope everyone else is doing well!

Your not blabbering your just getting stuff off your chest ever since I found out that I had cancer I don't hold nothing back holding stuff in will put a heavy weight on the mind

It is so true. I remember with great affection the people outside of my family who had a hand in my upbringing, passing on their wisdom unstintingly. They say it takes a village to raise a child and I believe that to be absolutely true.

Beth was able to go to our youngest's (who is a senior this year) basketball game (High School, Colorado 1A, very small school) last night, which was EPIC. We had one girl sick, one with a wrist injury, and another that could'nt be at the game. We were playing our arch rival. The 4 remaining girls decided that to forfiet was a loss without trying.....The injured girl went onto the court for the tip-off, then went to the bench. Those 4 girls played the entire game, no substitutions. The other team played hard, 5 players on the court, rotating in players. We lost by 2 points, and held the lead until the last 2 minutes. Beth was able to witness her youngest daughter playing her hardest, and Beth barely able to breathe while trying to cheer on the team. She slept very well last night. Its good for the whole family who is dealing with her cancer to get out and be together, and to enjoy things like this. She was SOOOOO glad she pushed herself to go to the game. EPIC. Awesome!
BTW, the team got a standing ovation from BOTH sides of spectators when the game was over, and also when they returned from the locker room. Even the opposing team's coach was crying.

Last edited:
It sounds like they won the game to me.
I enjoyed reading that. I am glad you posted it.

I do believe that I will think of your description of this game the rest of my life.
Sometimes, quitting is easy to do when you don't figure the loss means much. It was just a game after all, But you just proved to me that sometimes you can still lose and the gain be terribly significant. Your daughter will always remember that game far more than the ones they won.
Your wife and daughter are inspiring.
Kudos to you too. These things do not happen without support and encouragement.

My daughter described it as "living the battle of Thermopylae...."

:celebrate

Beth's condition is slowly degrading though, overall. Her headaches are worsening, O2 saturation is OK while stationary, but has dropped into the 30% range after walking up the stairs. She sleeps a total of about 18 hours each day now.

Last edited:
That is a perfect reference for their battle.
I home schooled my son for eight years, and I had never heard of the battle of Thermopylae, until we went over it in his studies. ( Calvert-I got a great education that way) Your daughter might be in a small school, but it sounds like a quality one.

It is difficult to find the words for Beth. I wish her comfort. I wish your family peace. I can not put myself in your shoes and know how the struggle is affecting you all. I want to be encouraging without being ...unrealistic. Just know you are in my prayers.
hugs.gif

[COLOR=333333]That is a perfect reference for their battle.[/COLOR]
I home schooled my son for eight years, and I had never heard of the battle of [COLOR=333333]Thermopylae, until we went over it in his studies. ( Calvert-I got a great education that way) Your daughter might be in a small school, but it sounds like a quality one. [/COLOR]

[COLOR=333333]It is difficult to find the words for Beth. I wish her comfort. I wish your family peace. I can not put myself in your shoes and know how the struggle is affecting you all. I want to be encouraging without being ...unrealistic. Just know you are in my prayers.[/COLOR]:hugs

Appreciate it.

No, her knowledge of ancient times comes from her own desire for knowledge. She craves that stuff, and I give it to her. She blows her teachers out of the water on that kind of stuff.
The school does fine, but doesn't have the time or finances to go into alot of detail on some subjects. There are only about 60 kids in the High school.

3goodeggs states things so well that I will simply echo her thoughts....including the empathy, caring, and best wishes for you, Beth and all of your family. You and Beth are such a treasure together.
JJ.

It is so true. I remember with great affection the people outside of my family who had a hand in my upbringing, passing on their wisdom unstintingly. They say it takes a village to raise a child and I believe that to be absolutely true.
To you and 3goodeggs. Thank you, and I agree, we are just a small drop in a large pool, and the bigger splash you can make the better. I want those kids in my troop to remember me as the dude that taught them some real life skills, that made them men, much as my Father thought of me, I still think there is growing to do, but I do my best. There are many people that taught me many things, I am also adopted, and all portions of my large family taught me so much let alone my "parents" that are my best friends parents, Scouts leaders, etc.

Beth was able to go to our youngest's (who is a senior this year) basketball game (High School, Colorado 1A, very small school) last night, which was EPIC. We had one girl sick, one with a wrist injury, and another that could'nt be at the game. We were playing our arch rival. The 4 remaining girls decided that to forfiet was a loss without trying.....The injured girl went onto the court for the tip-off, then went to the bench. Those 4 girls played the entire game, no substitutions. The other team played hard, 5 players on the court, rotating in players. We lost by 2 points, and held the lead until the last 2 minutes. Beth was able to witness her youngest daughter playing her hardest, and Beth barely able to breathe while trying to cheer on the team. She slept very well last night. Its good for the whole family who is dealing with her cancer to get out and be together, and to enjoy things like this. She was SOOOOO glad she pushed herself to go to the game. EPIC. Awesome!
BTW, the team got a standing ovation from BOTH sides of spectators when the game was over, and also when they returned from the locker room. Even the opposing team's coach was crying.
This sounds like it would have been a game to witness! Nice to hear.

Just a compliment to Pikes Peak Hospice. They concocted a cream that includes Methadone. Beth applies it to the areas on her skin where there is underlying pain. One application. For the first time in several years, Beth is pain free.
:weee

Back
Top Bottom