So ticked at neighbor's & dogs

flakey chick

Songster
12 Years
May 3, 2007
Florida
We live at the corner of a private road and public road, in the boonies. First let me say all the neighbors along are private road are great and take good care of their animals. Some neighbors along the public road seem to think it's fine to let their dogs loose `cause it's the country. We've had run-ins with one neighbors dogs a couple of times. One of our hens was killed by a dog I suspect was theirs. (Our other neighbors saw it loose around the same time, but we didn't see it happen so I'm not sure.)

Every time there is a problem, they have a hard time believing it could have been their dog, but promise to keep it penned up. Even when we saw their dog take a bite of butt fluff from our top hen and chased it all the way home again- it was "Are you sure it was this dog? He's just right here." -Duh, we just chased him all the way back here you jerks!

I knew it was going to take losing a dog for him to care about keeping them penned up. I just knew someone would eventually hit one with a car or shoot one for chasing livestock (and I wouldn't blame them for shooting it). Unfortunately it was MUCH worse than I thought. Someone left out anti-freeze. At that point he did the responsible thing and kept his remaining dogs penned up (for a while) and told the neighbors about it- warning them to keep their pets home. I really scares me to think that one of our neighbors is such a sicko to kill an animal in such an inhumane way.

I guess the dog owner know longer cares. As we were riding our bikes home, his 2 remaining dogs were loose and threatening. One of them grabbed my rear tire! I am beyond livid. He KNOWS there is a sick @#$3^ in the area willing to poison his dogs and STILL he lets them run loose.

I wish you luck. Had the dog bit my back tire the post would have been about the one dog he has left. Sad thing is when he becomes dogless he'll probably just get some more.

I will never understand some folks irrational thinking about dogs and cats that "need" to roam free! In the 12 years I have lived in my house, I have had to go over to the neighbor across the street 3 times! and tell them their cat was lying dead in the street - once at night and twice early in the morning because I didn't want their tenderhearted youngest daughter to find the cat dead. I liked these people, but I'm kind of glad they have moved back to Canada.

I don't know about your state or county laws, but in my area of Texas there is an 'animal at large' law. If you see a dog roaming at large even in an unincorporated area, you can file a complaint with the local justice of the peace and the dog owner will have to go to court and pay a fine. Every time you see the dog at large, file another complaint. Every time the fine gets BIGGER. Hitting 'em in the pocketbook might do it. I would be surprised if you don't have a law like this already on the books for protection. If you don't, go to your county's ruling body and ask that a countywide ordinance be adopted. It would be a good thing to do for yourself and your neighbors.

I don't know about your state or county laws, but in my area of Texas there is an 'animal at large' law. If you see a dog roaming at large even in an unincorporated area, you can file a complaint with the local justice of the peace and the dog owner will have to go to court and pay a fine. Every time you see the dog at large, file another complaint. Every time the fine gets BIGGER. Hitting 'em in the pocketbook might do it. I would be surprised if you don't have a law like this already on the books for protection. If you don't, go to your county's ruling body and ask that a countywide ordinance be adopted. It would be a good thing to do for yourself and your neighbors.

I know for a fact the dog at large rule works. "It's the country, let'm go." No.- My neighbors had a scary pit mix that kept coming over, and coming over, and coming over. My dog went into her first heat, and we didn't catch it in time. Guess who showed up and attacked us? Not only did we git rid of their problem, we called the cops out. They couldn't get near the dog and put him down on the spot. The neighbors were fined, and told they couldn't have a dog again because they couldn't control them. Lo-and-behold, they hate us now. My 3 year old nephew was living with me then, he could have been killed had he been who walked up on this dog.

I say file a complaint. It always works for me.​

Well I'm not going out running or biking without my pepper spray again. (BTW, really bad idea to fire a gun from a moving bike, even if I were willin to shoot it). Yes they are required to keep dogs leashed when off private property (except designated dog runs in a few parks). Animal services comes out to deal with trapped animals, so if the dogs are loose then I'll have them deal with it.

I am just so mad at them for so many different reasons. I am mad that they are clueless and indifferent to the trouble their dogs cause for others. I am FURIOUS that he puts his own dogs at such risk when he KNOWS there is a sicko out here willing to make them suffer a horrible death. I was really hoping his eyes were opened and that he would start taking better care of his remaining dogs.

Last edited:
I'm glad I live where I do. The sherriff come out to my house, and after talking to him and telling him about the stray & wild dogs that kept trying to get in my yard he said shoot em. I have the legal right to shoot them if they are threatening, or attempting to threaten my family, or livestock! Digging into my yard is attempting to threaten my family.

Here is my saying YOU CAN'T FIX STUPID!!! sad but true i would file a complaint . I get so mad as well with people that don't take care of their dogs.

OK, now I am really ticked. This morning there was another dog loose among the garbage cans. At least it was wearing a collar. Further along our commute there were 2 more loose dogs hanging out at a school bus stop. They did not even have collars, let alone leashes. Perhaps they belonged to people waiting for the bus in their cars, but STILL, it is a shared bus stop. Other kids shouldn't have to board their bus with loose dogs about.

Also it really ticks me off to see dogs without tags because you can't know if they are up-to-date on their rabies shots. If the owner is too irresponsible to keep their dogs under control, I'm not going to assume they are responsible enough to keep them vaccinated. I really don't want to kill anyone's dog. I would prefer that these dogs not get hit by cars, shot, or poisoned either. It would be much better for them to be humanely put to sleep at the pound.

Dead dogs can be quickly replaced by an irresponsible dog owner. The owners need to be inconvenienced. I think I am about to declare open season with a paintball gun- or maybe stink spray. I do plan on having animal services out tomorrow as I am setting a trap for whatever got into our coop. Perhaps the threat of increasing fines might convince them.

Back
Top Bottom